FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transferring Programs (FCP) to new iMac. Hooking up FW Drives to new iMac

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Berch
Transferring Programs (FCP) to new iMac. Hooking up FW Drives to new iMac
on Oct 21, 2015 at 10:41:34 pm

Hi,

Right now I have a Mac Pro 10 GB RAM from 2010. I also have FCP 7 (Studio) LiveType, DVD Studio Pro, & FCP X with New Motion and New Compressor, Photoshop, After Effects, Soundtrack, Avid, etc... I would like these all to transfer to a new iMac without having to install them again.

Is this possible? If so, How?

The new iMac's do not have Firewire and I have 6 Firewire External Drives (400 and 800) that I keep footage on to edit. My old computer does not haveThunderbolt either.

Assuming I get the programs onto a new iMac, how can I hook up my Hard Drives to it?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Transferring Programs (FCP) to new iMac. Hooking up FW Drives to new iMac
on Oct 23, 2015 at 12:18:02 am

[Adam Berch] "I would like these all to transfer to a new iMac without having to install them again. Is this possible? If so, How?"
First you would need to de-register your Adobe applications because Adobe has nasty copy protection that locks the software to a particular computer. Luckily Apple doesn't do this. Then I would use the Migration Assistant on your new iMac to migrate your user account from your Mac Pro with applications to your new iMac. Then re-authorize the Adobe products on your new iMac. This transfer can be done over a home network or, I believe, you can connect a single ethernet cable between the two computers for faster transfers. I've done it over night using WiFi and it works pretty well.
[Adam Berch] "The new iMac's do not have Firewire and I have 6 Firewire External Drives (400 and 800) that I keep footage on to edit. My old computer does not haveThunderbolt either. Assuming I get the programs onto a new iMac, how can I hook up my Hard Drives to it?"
Get the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter $29.

Then I would invest in new Thunderbolt storage and transfer the data from the old drives while they are still spinning. ;-) If you need to continue to access data from both Mac's get a USB 3.0 card for your 2010 Mac Pro and buy USB 3.0 storage which should attach to both Mac's.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]