FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Question

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Mac Question
on Mar 25, 2015 at 8:10:58 pm

I have a MacPro5,1 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 16GB of memory. I edit on FCP

Since USB3.0 seems like one of the newest ways of editing and using G-raid drives, I'm wondering how I can go about adding USB 3.0 to this mac.

I understand that I can install a USB 3.0 card into the mac, but I already have a ESATA card installed.
I believe I can add a second card (USB3.0) to the computer. Is that so? Will that cause conflicts with the ESATA card?

Should that create good read/write speeds to a USB 3.0 7200rmp external drive?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Mac Question
on Mar 29, 2015 at 7:16:48 pm

[Greg Ball] "Since USB3.0 seems like one of the newest ways of editing and using G-raid drives, I'm wondering how I can go about adding USB 3.0 to this mac."
I also have a MacPro 5,1 and I purchased this USB 3.0 card and I'm very happy with it:

Inateck 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card for Mac Pro
[Greg Ball] "I understand that I can install a USB 3.0 card into the mac, but I already have a ESATA card installed. I believe I can add a second card (USB3.0) to the computer. Is that so? Will that cause conflicts with the ESATA card?"
I shouldn't. I have an eSATA card as well and they both work great. There are four (4) slots in the MacPro 5,1.

This is what I have in mine:

Slot 1: ATI Radeon HD 5870
Slot 2: 480GB OWC Mercury Accelsior_E2 PCI Express SSD with 2 eSATA ports.
Slot 3: Inateck 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card for Mac Pro
Slot 4: Apple Mac Pro RAID Card

As long as you have an open slot to put the USB 3.0 card in you should be fine.
[Greg Ball] "Should that create good read/write speeds to a USB 3.0 7200rmp external drive?"
Using BMD's Disk Speed Test I'm getting 86MB/s Write and 90 MB/s Read from my USB 3.0 G-DRIVE single disk. It's more than enough for the HD work I do with FCP X.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]