FORUMS: list search recent posts

Installing OSX 10.6 to external hard drive using OSX 10.9 Macbook?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Hayman
Installing OSX 10.6 to external hard drive using OSX 10.9 Macbook?
on Feb 10, 2015 at 3:59:08 am

I have unfinished projects in FCP7 that I haven't been able to work on ever since my computer's hard drive crashed. The iMac will boot from an external hard drive just fine, which they determined when I took it to Apple, but I'm having trouble installing the OS onto an external hard drive. If I can do this, hopefully I can install FCP7 as well, and hopefully convert the projects over.

The problem is the OS in my new Macbook is 10.9, and for some reason it won't read the original DVD install disc for 10.6. The DVD drive in the old iMac, unfortunately, also won't read it because that drive went out just before the drive failed.

Does anyone know how to get the installer to work using a new computer?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
Re: Installing OSX 10.6 to external hard drive using OSX 10.9 Macbook?
on Feb 21, 2015 at 2:26:24 am

OK, so the goal is to work with FCP7 files. I'm still working with my original 2010 files (FCS3 on a 2010 13" originally w/10.6) on 10.8.5 Mt. Lion . So be aware, you can move forward that far with no risk to access. I was able to downgrade from trying Mavericks (CS5.5 crash issues), and that's where I want to stay for now. Best of old and new.
The issue may be if your new machine (you don't mention any specific models…) came with 10.9 Mavericks as original equipment. I have the same issue with a new 2014 model (11,3) running Yosemite ("...a world of hurt." as Jobs would say). Older software may not have the drivers to run the newer hardware, and Apple NEVER upgrades that, only security patches. So I don't know if you will ever get Snow Leopard on your new machine, but if it came with at least Mt. Lion (10.8.x), you should be able to downgrade back. Downgrading before (your machine was produced), may not ever be possible with Apple. Hope some of this is helpful...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]