FORUMS: list search recent posts

Yosemite - Hard drive gives me Disk Full Error

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Escobar
Yosemite - Hard drive gives me Disk Full Error
on Nov 7, 2014 at 5:35:02 am

After installing Yosemite a couple of weeks ago, I'm having problems with my hard drive's free space suddenly shrinking and then getting an error that my Hard Drive is Almost Full. Then it says I have Zero bytes free. I've trying everything. I have about 115Gig of Free space and I've left my computer on all day but when I get home, it's down to Zero bytes free and I haven't even been working on it.

Anyone have the same problem? I can't figure out what's going on and there are no updates for Yosemite yet.

I'm using the new Mac Pro 2013. I didn't have that problem in the last OS X but as soon as I upgraded, I seem to have this problem.

Please help

Steven Escobar

Steven Escobar

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Yosemite - Hard drive gives me Disk Full Error
on Nov 7, 2014 at 8:26:52 pm

Did you go from Mavericks to Yosemite or from Mt Lion to Yosemite?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Steven Escobar
on Nov 7, 2014 at 8:30:25 pm

Maverick

Steven Escobar

Return to posts index

Raihan Jamil
on Nov 8, 2014 at 9:56:03 am

I am having the same problem. Hard drive filling up! Without doing anything at all.

I am taking screen shots of memory size and it seems like every 10 minutes almost 80 Mb is filling up.

I upgraded from Mav to YS.

I a also having an issue of Home Folder name changing with numbers. My Home folder is called Bangla. With YS, it is changing to Bangla(2), Bangla(3) and now it is Bangla(8). I found a solution from the Internet deleting some preference files and not it might have been resolved.

BUT WHAT TO DO WITH THE MEMORY THING?!!

Return to posts index

Steven Escobar
on Nov 9, 2014 at 7:23:18 pm

Did you find any solution to the drive filling up?

I'm curious about the renaming of your folders. What was that about?

Steven Escobar

Return to posts index

Raihan Jamil
on Nov 9, 2014 at 8:17:47 pm

Do this:

Go to Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences > SystemConfiguration and delete the following files:

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist
preferences.plist
Then remove the numeric iteration (#) from the computer name (or rename altogether) in
System Preferences > Sharing and reboot. The plist files will be recreated after reboot.

It seems to have resolved two of my issues - Home folder name change and hard disc filling up. So far :) Best of luck.

Return to posts index

Raihan Jamil
on Nov 12, 2014 at 6:33:56 pm

Just so you know, the issue is back. Both hard drive filling up and Home folder name changing with (#). Let me know if you have found something.

Return to posts index

Steven Escobar
on Nov 12, 2014 at 6:48:44 pm

I tried what you recommended but I'm still having issues with my hard drive filling up. I have to restart my computer every 30 mins to an hour just to get my hard drive back to where it was.

It's very frustrating.

Steven Escobar

Return to posts index

Kelly Gerling
on Mar 9, 2015 at 12:33:10 am

I have a MacBook Pro, 2008, 250 GB hard drive. I'm running Yosemite 10.10.2 My hard drive filled up. I deleted 50 GB of movies and other large files. It filled up again. After looking around I got a $10 program called Yosemite Cache Cleaner (http://www.northernsoftworks.com/yosemitecachecleaner.html).

I ran it to do a "deep cleanse" of caches and logs. I said "yes" to all the prompts to delete these cache and log files.

That freed up 175 GB of disk space. I expect that the program will keep doing it when needed, and so far there are no bad side effects. That means—problem solved.

My question is, how can THAT MUCH space be taken up with caches and logs? And taken up so fast.

I run both Safari and Chrome browsers.

Keywords
Mac hard drive fill filling up cache log fix problem OS X

Return to posts index

Max Rose
on Sep 20, 2015 at 1:19:05 am

Not sure if this is related but I just upgraded to Yosemite from Mavericks a couple weeks ago and my hard drive started hanging with a swod. I'd have maybe 5-10 minutes of usable computer time before everything would screech to a halt. I took it into the Genius bar and they said I had a bad hard drive.

"But this is a late 2012 iMac and I wasn't having any issues until I upgraded to Yosemite!?"

"Yes sir, well there's no predicting the life of a HD."

"Ah, well I haven't backed up my data so I'll let you replace the drive as long as I get the drive that's in there back."

"Well, we'll have to charge you for the drive."

"I know, I'm happy to pay for a new drive."

"No, we'll have to charge you for the drive in there if you want it back"

"How Much?"

"$250"

"Are you out of your mind!? Didn't I already buy the drive when I bought the computer!?"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]