Blu Ray Drive for Archive

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Schiller
Blu Ray Drive for Archive
on Jul 28, 2014 at 7:21:05 am
Last Edited By Richard Schiller on Jul 28, 2014 at 7:23:51 am

Colleagues

I hope you can help. I have purchased a blu ray writer for my daughter. She has been doing a lot of video editing and needs some way of archiving older files. The blu ray drive is working well but not fully. Her editing computer is an iMac. I know nothing about Apple computers by-the-way.

The issue is that pretty much all references I can find talk about reading and writing HD video type blu ray discs for playback in domestic video devices and not for simply being used as a file storage solution. This is plainly not a popular activity - either that or everyone else finds it too simple to comment on.

What happens is that the Mac can communicate with the drive and can read files and so on. So much so good. Where it goes wrong is that it cannot write files. It says any file, no matter how small, cannot fit as the empty disc in the drive has too little space left.

Has anyone else had this problem? Did you find a cure? In fact, as an aside, does anyone else archive onto blu ray?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
Re: Blu Ray Drive for Archive
on Sep 7, 2014 at 6:23:25 pm

Hello Richard,

Sorry for the late reply, but hardware/software info helps. My 2010 13" MacBook Pro running OSX 10.8.5 mountain lion burns/reads files no problem (OWC/Pioneer burner). I think the max storage/cost limits projects, and you have to have a reader for each disc to consider it added storage. They mostly bring full HD to the disc, although spinning discs seem to be going away slowly in light of SSDs.
I use 3.5" bare drives in a "dock" for archiving, storing them in stackable boxes (inside a Pelican box). This is the cheapest/most flexible choice for me, although they require running the drives regularly (30 days is the longest I leave one). Hope this helps...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]