FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it possible to run a Mac Pro without PCI-E graphics

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eli Garrett
Is it possible to run a Mac Pro without PCI-E graphics
on Jun 13, 2014 at 1:17:40 am

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 running 10.6 acting as my video file server, unfortunately I have maxed out the number of PCI-E lanes available, But I need to add another network card to expand its capacity, Since it acts as a server I only use its monitor for admin functions, not very often. To free up some PCI-E lanes could I pull out the graphics card and attach a USB graphics card like Diamond BVU195 in its place? I am not sure if Apple requires there graphics card to be in place for the system to run. Does anyone know if this would work?

Also if anyone has any recommendations on a USB Graphics card for mac I am open to suggestions?

http://www.diamondmm.com/bvu195-diamond-external-video-display-adapter.html

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: Is it possible to run a Mac Pro without PCI-E graphics
on Jun 15, 2014 at 10:45:18 pm
Last Edited By John Davidson on Jun 15, 2014 at 10:47:30 pm

Our Mac Pro server currently has no graphics card. It DOES have an iCloud account, so when I need to access it I screen share into it through finder from another mac at the office over the network. You might not really even need the iCloud account. One caveat, once you've turned on screen sharing in settings, DO NOT TURN IT OFF. You'll have to dismantle everything and put a graphics card back in it to reenable screen sharing. That happened once when I wasn't thinking about what I was doing and it sucked.

Bob Zelin always yells at me about this, but it works, so there you go.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Eli Garrett
Re: Is it possible to run a Mac Pro without PCI-E graphics
on Jun 16, 2014 at 12:11:20 pm

Thanks John,

Its good to know this is an option, and that someone else has tried it out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]