FORUMS: list search recent posts

Super slow transfer time

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Colins
Super slow transfer time
on Mar 5, 2014 at 4:59:06 pm

During downloading of various formats, I experienced unusually slow transfers. I tried isolate the components and still had many problems.

The problems seem to be when going to 2 different G-Raid Mini drives. I got a lacie rugged drive to work at normal speed when coping 90 and 40 gigs ~20 mins via usb3.0. The G-Riad (raid 0) was taking 3+ hours to copy 90Gid via usb3.0 or esata. I tried connecting directly to macbook pro and also through esata hub. I thought it might have been one bad drive, but the other drive had the same slow speeds. I tried different cables to no luck.

The original media being transfered was Red mags and also a SSD with ProRes files.

Does anyone know what might have been going on here?

Return to posts index

Chris Murphy
Re: Super slow transfer time
on Mar 5, 2014 at 5:22:06 pm

This is a confusing post.

1. 90 and 40 gigs ~20 mins via usb3.0
It makes no sense that a 90GB and 40GB transfer would take the same amount of time. But 40,000 MB in 1200 seconds is only 33MB/s which is slow. Even 90GB in 20 minutes is 75MB/s which is not exactly a speed demon either.

2. 10800 seconds to transfer 90,000 MB is 8MB/s. Obviously something is wrong. This is the sort of transfer rate you get with a.) bad drive; b.) bad connection; c.) improper alignment of either the raid to the physical sector, and/or file system to the raid; d.) small file random I/O. e.) other.

So that leaves c and e. And I don't know what e would be. And c is a pretty obscure problem to have these days, and HFS+ doesn't even permit alignment options because it really isn't designed/optimized for use with RAID.

What sort of results do you get from Blackmagic Disk Speed Test for each drive? You can get this from the App Store for free.

Return to posts index

Dan Colins
on Mar 5, 2014 at 6:35:42 pm

Sorry, if you had trouble understanding my post. The time refered to the latter size, it took 20mins to do 40gigs over usb3.0.

I can tell something is wrong with these speeds, but I'm not a hardware expert to figure out what. When troubleshooting, I changed cables, changed type of cable (esata to usb) and tried a new drive, the new drive was just as slow.

Return to posts index

Chris Murphy
on Mar 11, 2014 at 5:56:26 pm

Use Blackmagic Speed Test from the App Store. Either post the result, or if you're convinced they indicate a problem or departure from the G-Technology specs then I'd call G-Technology and ask them what's up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]