FORUMS: list search recent posts

Carbon Copy Cloner issue

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Snyder
Carbon Copy Cloner issue
on Feb 1, 2014 at 8:47:01 pm

In preparation to upgrade my 27" iMac running Mt. Lion with FCP 7 to Mavericks, I'm going to run a test of the OS on external drive. First off, I'm going to clone my current OS to the external drive after which I would upgrade to Mavericks. Using Carbon Copy Cloner, I clicked on their Disk Center option to create Recovery Partition on this external drive.

This morning, I read this section under notes "Cloning Apple's Recovery Partition":
"Why were other volumes on my disk unmounted when I created a Recovery HD?:
CCC uses a command-line version of Disk Utility to resize the donor volume. Resizing that volume requires making changes to the partition table on the disk, and Disk Utility may choose to unmount other volumes on the disk while it makes those changes."
Does mean CCC actually changed the size of my internal HD? If so, is this damaging?

Above that, it states:
"When CCC creates a new Recovery HD, it borrows space from your destination volume to create a new, hidden volume on that disk." This I can understand but I am concerned that my HD has in some way been tampered with unless I am misunderstanding this.

Has anyone else used Carbon Copy Cloner or experienced this? Do I need to be concerned? Everything seems to be running OK. CCC does not have telephone support.

Thanks,
Philip

Return to posts index

Tom Bucknall
Re: Carbon Copy Cloner issue
on Feb 2, 2014 at 12:47:27 am

CCC changes the size of the drive you are cloning onto. It does not change anything on the drive you are cloning.

The drive you are cloning to does not have a Recovery HD partition, but your original drive does, thus it needs to make space on the new drive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]