FORUMS: list search recent posts

Going iMac After Dumping PC. Have Questions

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Bennett
Going iMac After Dumping PC. Have Questions
on Nov 9, 2013 at 7:10:23 pm

Getting an iMac 27" (new 4th generation) for general office work for my business (Video production) for emails, internet, calendars, Word, Excel, Powerpoint and running Adobe CS6. Mostly Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects and some editing with Premiere Pro CS6 as a second NLE. iMac has to interface with my main NLE which is a powerhouse PC runing Vegas Pro 12 and Adobe products.

Pros/Cons for:
CPU: 3.5GHz i5 vs i7
Graphics: GTX 780 (4GB) vs GTX 775 (4GB)
RAM: 8GB vs 16GB (well, I'm getting the 16GB to start)
Fusion drive vs standard HDD

Any other suggestion are welcome.

Thanks.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures
Capturing Your Life's Adventures!

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
Re: Going iMac After Dumping PC. Have Questions
on Nov 11, 2013 at 2:15:22 pm

My god man! Don't do it, don't do it, don't do it!!!! Stick to PC and you'll have a computer that will carry on working normally.

Get yourself a Mac and enter into the world of Schroedinger's Mac, whereby each time you turn it on you won't be sure if it's going to work the same way it worked when you turned it on.

Being a PC user, you will have become accustomed to the lines of logic that PCs work along, unfortunately logic seem's to be a dirty word in the world of Mac, the reasons are too numerous to go into (unless you really, really want me to) but put it this way; in 2006 I bought a laptop on which to run Avid Xpress on, today more than 7 years later it still work's and in fact is what I'm typing on now. In 2009 I paid £2500 for a Mac Pro desktop and have never put it on the internet and have only run FCP and associated programs on it, last week it inexplicably stopped working, so now my earning potential has been seriously effected and I can't afford to buy a 'proper' computer.

Buying a Mac is the biggest single purchasing mistake I have ever made, if I can stop one person making the same mistake as me, it'll be a good thing.

http://www.rolirivelino.com/

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive
Nvidia Geforce 8800 512mb Graphics card
1x 1Tb external WD 'My Book' eSata

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 13, 2013 at 4:42:25 am

I hope you're kidding. A four year old computer stopped working and therefore PCs are more reliable and logical than Macs. Maybe the system drive died. (used on both platforms) Maybe the power supply died. (used on both platforms). Maybe the ram died (used on both platforms). Maybe the OS got corrupted. Reinstall. Maybe a lot of things. If the Mac Pro with FCP was making you a living then get it fixed. You can't run FCP on your PC laptop.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
on Nov 13, 2013 at 8:32:30 am

Nope I'm not kidding and yes you're right I can't run FCP on a PC, but after Apple gave me and every other pro FCP editor in the world the finger, why would I want to? I'm buying a PC and running Adobe Premiere; oh happy days :-)

http://www.rolirivelino.com/

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive
Nvidia Geforce 8800 512mb Graphics card
1x 1Tb external WD 'My Book' eSata

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Nov 11, 2013 at 5:21:58 pm

hello...

no cons really that i see - networking them up won't be an issue, and other than just getting used to a few new ways to do things, you should be fine...

if you have any more specific things, let us know!

sitruc

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Nov 13, 2013 at 12:57:35 pm

I'd say go for i7 for multithreaded capability, fusion drive for the benefits that come from running your OS and Apps from an SSD, max out the RAM unless it's user replaceable if so get minimum RAM and max it out from a reliable third party vendor and I'm not familiar with those GPUs so I don't know.

Opposite of roli, I got my first Apple product in 2008, a Mac Pro and Final Cut Studio 2. Pure bliss ever since (after the slight learning curve, which was mostly full of "this is so much better" moments). I left behind a massive nightmare of problematic hardware and software that was used for work (video production/editing). Now, I've been "assimilated" into the "locked in" "island universe" of the "Apple ecosystem". Which actually means that I can do anything and everything the average person in this field needs too, run applications, collaborate with clients etc. etc. Did you know every Mac ships with the ability to install windows? yeah, Macs are PCs too. So in buying a Mac you get beautifully designed hardware, Apples awesome OS X and other apps, incredible customer support as well as a windows box if you want it to be one. Buy a new windows box and you get the "Metro interface", haha.

iCloud, iOS, OS X and Apple Hardware, do it, do it, do it. If I could just help one person to get to know OS X and then let them decide for themselves, for each person roli tries to stop...

So the red square with an x to close a window is now a red circle and on the other side in OS X, control panel is called system preferences and the control keys functions are on a new key called command... You still save files in folders, edit in your NLE of choice (FCPX is actually very good) browse the web, send emails, or whatever. Not that hard to get used to. Oh, don't forget to turn on right-click, that's a really big problem for new users.

The statement of every time you turn on a Mac you don't know if it will work like last time is laughable at best. What? Is this a windows user complaining about OS X updates? I don't get it. But that problem is basically the reason I left windows. You will find a very helpful community of Apple users ready to assist you in getting accustomed to your new Mac.

Also, notice rolis sig has no mention of a windows PC, but he proudly includes the specs of his Mac Pro for all to see every time he posts. Odd for an Apple hater, I'd expect a "my custom, cobbled together mashup of parts, PC build is cheaper and faster than your Mac" type of specs. And as if "never putting the Mac on the internet" is somehow supposed to mean he maintains a perfect system, uncorrupt, that will last forever. Ridiculous and foolish.

Sorry, I just can't stand to see this nonsense posted. Ken, I'm sure you were able to look right past his crazy post. I obviously couldn't.

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Nov 13, 2013 at 6:13:45 pm

The reason I am leaving Windows 7 PC is really Dell's fault. Well, the final straw anyway. When NLE's became available to me back in early 1990's my first NLE computer was an Amiga running Video Toaster/Flyer. Amiga went bye-bye and VT/F moved to the PC world and I've been living in PCland ever since.

Windows has always been a pain (Amiga was actually more of a "windows" system than M$'s Windows). And the reason why we say "M$" is because it actually costs much more than Apple computers in the long run. At least for professional video production. In the past 8 years I've had to fix or replace or have new PCs built every 2 years.

I've been talking with Mac users for several months now and I hear things like, "I've had my iMac since 2008 and never had any problem". And this producer edits music for several major bands and movies on it. Everyone tells me the same.... "I've had mine since 2006,..... 2010..... no problems..."

When I posted the question "PC vs Mac" for video production, 99% responded "Mac". And most were old PC users. "Once you go Mac, you won't go back (to PC)".

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures
Capturing Your Life's Adventures!

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 17, 2013 at 12:02:25 am

[Ken Bennett] "I've been talking with Mac users for several months now and I hear things like, "I've had my iMac since 2008 and never had any problem". And this producer edits music for several major bands and movies on it. Everyone tells me the same.... "I've had mine since 2006,..... 2010..... no problems...""

Not to stir the pot too much, but they all say that and they all have problems. They just conveniently forget those problems (I've been there, hearing someone say, "My Mac has never had a problem." when I just pulled them back from the brink of hardware death a few months prior.)

I have a desktop that I built myself since 2006. The only thing that goes wrong is hardware going bad. iMacs are self contained, so if your Fusion (or SSD) drive happens to go, off goes the entire unit back to the Apple store, and hopefully they can get you back up and running soon. My desktop I could go to Fry's or Best Buy, purchase a new drive, and have a backup image start up my machine again within an hour.

But that's a level of "know how" that not everyone has or needs to have. And when my video card burned out a few weeks ago, I got tired of dealing with it (a GTX285 purchased in '06 or '07).

Both Macs and Windows are PCs and both will have people who have had very positive experiences and very negative experiences. The nice thing about Apple is that their hardware maintains it's value quite well vs any name brand Windows machine (aside from, perhaps, some high end HP or Dell workstations). You can still run Windows on an iMac if you want to, and the new iMacs are some very nice hardware under the hood (plus, you get a great screen). Just pick the hardware you think you can live with for the longest time (definitely upgrade to the i7) as you can't just swap something out if you ever need the extra horsepower or storage.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Dec 21, 2013 at 8:32:33 pm
Last Edited By Al Bergstein on Dec 21, 2013 at 8:35:27 pm

Ken I use a W7 machine for Vegas, and right next to it is a MPro early 2008 with 16 GBs RAM, and 4 TBs of hard drive space, and it still runs just fine. I might not be able to render stuff quite as fast, but with Adobe on both machines, I can unmount a drive on the Mac, plug it into the W7 and render it over night there, if I'm really in a hurry. I can also run W7 on both the Bootcamp or inside a Parallels folder, though until my W7 machine dies, I don't bother.

If you haven't yet bought one or for other readers, David is spot on. If you are going to put out the cash, you might as well buy the highest end machine for your needs. Get the RAM at the lowest level you can in the config you want and buy the upgrade from OWC. I would get the Fusion drive and the highest end graphics card. I don't think the video is upgradeable in the iMac. You might regret not having the best card in that box.

MacPros and iMacs last longer and do the job better. I bought this MPro when I got back into video editing in 2009. I saved about $1000 off list price by buying it used 1 year old, and here it is, 4 years later and it's still working just fine. I intend to use it until it dies, if that's possible, and then upgrade to a used new MPro after someone pays the new freight on it. I run FCP 7 for legacy jobs, and Adobe's suite for newer jobs. I still have some legacy of Vegas on Windows, and occasionally fire that up. I don't do a lot of fx in my work.

Windows is fine, I'm not a fanboy of any OS, it's just a damn tool, like the engine in a truck. I don't like W8 and have no intention of ever using it, but the MacOS has proven to be more stable, and frankly, when my 4TB NTFS RAID array died, I found that I could more likely recover files that were on it using the MacOS. I needed to copy about 2 TBs of files off the damaged array. The MacOS read and saved files that the W7 machine, with all the latest tools, could not read. Not sure why that is. When I got the RAID back, (one drive had died but it didn't recover as it should have), I installed the MacOS onto it.

good luck...either way.

Al

Return to posts index

Paul Corey
on Jan 4, 2014 at 3:22:45 am

Go with a Mac. I had 3 PC 's over the pass 6 years with the Adobe suite and a Mac book pro for 6 years that I used with FCP 6 and Adobe still works. A little slow but still going. I am using the Mac book pro for office work and pre-production. I have a 3 year old Mac pro for editing.

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]