FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need Some Input Comparing nVidia 650M (Mountain Lion) and 750M (Mavericks)

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arya Boustani
Need Some Input Comparing nVidia 650M (Mountain Lion) and 750M (Mavericks)
on Nov 7, 2013 at 3:49:13 pm

Hi there,

Just few days ago, I replaced my Macbook Pro mid 2012 that came with Snow Leopard with a Macbook Pro late 2013 that comes with Mavericks.
Late 2013 Macbook Pro is designed based on Mavericks and it is impossible to go back to Mountain Lion.

Therefore I will be impacted by the few months of waiting for some updates from the third party plugins, hardware firmware, Adobe, etc.
I'm so worried that I consider returning my mac and buy a refurbished early 2013 Macbook Pro that comes with Mountain Lion.

I'm wondering if anyone had a chance to try the performance of nVidia 750M (2GB VRAM) vs. the older Macbook Pro that comes with nVidia 650M (1GB VRAM) on Premiere Pro and After Effects. I imagine there is a smoother un-rendered playback result with the new hardware just by comparing it briefly. If you can put it into numbers, what percentage of performance increase do you see? If it is let's say 10 percent increase, I'm willing to switch to early 2013 model to avoid the headache.

Sorry if I'm posting this in this forum rather than Premiere Pro forum but I strongly believe the problems (like not picking up the Open CL in the Premiere Pro preview settings) are to do with the new Apple OS (Mavericks) not the new hardware.

Thanks for your input.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
Re: Need Some Input Comparing nVidia 650M (Mountain Lion) and 750M (Mavericks)
on Nov 8, 2013 at 5:47:04 pm

http://www.barefeats.com/rmbpc1.html

The main boost you get from a late 2013 vs early 2013 machine is far better i/o performance, thunderbolt 2, faster WiFi and longer battery life. The GPU and CPU see maybe a 10-15% boost, where the SSD is 2X faster.

So, it really depends on what you do. Fast i/o is important for editing and AE-work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]