FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Incredible Shrinking Hard drive

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Burke
The Incredible Shrinking Hard drive
on Aug 27, 2013 at 4:00:31 am

I need some major Help guys, My Hard Disk is Shrinking, Today at 5:30pm I had 101 gigs available on my HD at 8pm the same day I now Have 30gigs and its getting smaller, What is going on? I'm not downloading anything?

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index

Daizy Daizy
Re: The Incredible Shrinking Hard drive
on Aug 30, 2013 at 9:22:01 am

I would like to suggest you to clean up your Mac drive because there might be system junks, caches, language files, log files, widgets etc. would be presents in your Mac disk. Stellar Speed Up is a good cleaner which helps to remove all these unnecessary stuffs from your Mac disk and free up consumed memory. However, you should check the Mac hard drive health also and repair it with Disk Utility.

Return to posts index

Chris Murphy
on Aug 31, 2013 at 8:19:19 pm

Almost certainly the offending process writing out that much data to disk is taking up some CPU time as well, so you can use Activity Monitor with the pop-up menu at the top set to All Processes, then click on the % CPU column to sort by process. The cause depends on the process involved. If it's syslogd, then that means it's writing out massive log files for some reason, and you'll need to look at the system.log in the Console application to find out what's being written and perhaps why.

OmniDiskSweeper may be useful in finding the location of the files taking up all of this storage. It's a free app.

Return to posts index

John Donahue
on Sep 27, 2013 at 8:38:24 pm

I am currently experiencing the same problem on my MacBook Pro. I actually have two hard drives in mine (I replaced my Super Drive with a second hard drive). On one I have OSX 10.8.5 installed and it is working fine. On the second drive I have the developer release of 10.9 installed along with OSX Server 10.9, as well. On this second drive I have 730 GB, of a 1 TB drive, eaten up by hidden files.

I have tried all of the various utilities you see recommended all over the web to try and find where the offending free space drain is going on. I am only able to nail it down as to being in hidden files. When I add up the space used by the various folders (even counting the hidden ones) I should be using only about 300 GB. The weirdest thing is that I can practically watch it disappear. No matter how many files I remove from this drive the free space rapidly disappears. I deleted nearly 700 GB in HD video files, after moving them to an external drive, a couple of weeks ago and haven't filled that space back up. I have moved all of my document files to the other internal hard drive. I have gone through and deleted all of the excess language files, 32 bit code, searched for any PPC code to delete, and removed everything I absolutely didn't need. In the past two days I have deleted at least a 100 GB of data and my current available free space is 25.7 GB. I have scanned for viruses and have not found any.

I am at a loss and afraid to reboot into Mavericks in fear that it will reach the end and crash.

Return to posts index

Chris Murphy
on Sep 27, 2013 at 9:17:14 pm

It's really straightforward. You have a runaway process eating up gobs of RAM, and now it's swapping to disk and the swapfile is getting huge. You can find such a process in Activity Monitor. It will be using lots of memory and probably a lot of CPU. Make sure you sort for All Processes not just user ones.

You have a runaway process producing a lot of errors, that the system logging daemon is recording to disk, making the system.log file huge. You can find evidence of this with the following terminal command:
du -h /var/log/system*

That will list the file size of all of the system logs.

du -h /var/log/

That will list the file sizes of all logs in the /var/log folder, maybe it's really obscure and not the system.log that's growing. If it is the system.log that's growing, you need to look at it in Console to see what's being logged that makes the log file so large so fast. And then kill that process.

Last, is the file system is unhealthy and the Finder is interpreting this as a file system that's filling up.

In any case it's not good because whether it really is or really isn't filling up, it's going to cause the OS to hang at some point and then your ability to figure out and fix the problem will be a lot more difficult.

Return to posts index

John Donahue
on Sep 28, 2013 at 1:20:37 pm

I already thought if that. There are two swap files and one sleep image file and they add up to around 5GB. I moved some video project files and the iMovie projects and events folders to an external hard drive and got the visible portion down to 155 GB, and the free space I just created shrank by more than 10 percent before my eyes.

I have run virus scans, used several different recommended utilities to search for the offending file(s) and checked all of the usual suspects. My 10.8.5 volume is not affected, even after dumping a bunch of GBs onto it, so if the cause were viral, it should have copied over, unless I just by dumb luck only copied the clean files. The problem only exists on my 10.9 volume and it is up to date with the very latest update.

I have gone through the hidden files and they shouldn't add up to the missing space either. A couple of utilities I have tried have flagged two or three different directories as containing the total missing amount, at the same time, but when I pour over them with a fine tooth comb, the barely contain a few MBS.

155 GBs in user allocated content. 755 GBs (and growing) of files the system prefers to hide.

Return to posts index

Chris Murphy
on Sep 28, 2013 at 5:35:53 pm

Go to OmniGroup and grab the free Omni Disk Sweeper.
http://www.omnigroup.com/more

It scans volumes, and sorts directories by size. If the problem is still occurring you could screen shot the app window after it's done scanning, then rescan and compare the recent scan to the screen shot to see which directory is growing.

It does find hidden directories that start with . and lists them as well.

Return to posts index

John Donahue
on Sep 28, 2013 at 7:45:10 pm

Omni Disk Sweeper identifies that there is that huge amount taken up by hidden files, but it does not identify any hidden files as being large enough, individually to be the problem.

Return to posts index

Chris Murphy
on Sep 28, 2013 at 8:54:40 pm

Ok so maybe stop being coy and tell us what the containing directory name and hidden filenames are?

Return to posts index

John Donahue
on Sep 28, 2013 at 11:11:32 pm

I finally found it. It was the developer release of OSX Mavericks Server that was the culprit. I deleted the LibraryServer directory, using MacPilot, and it all reappeared. I deleted Server, for now, and will wait until there is an update or the final release to use it again.

Return to posts index

Chris Murphy
on Sep 29, 2013 at 1:24:40 am

10.9 server is designed to work this way, to cache software updates for clients locally.

Return to posts index

John Donahue
on Sep 29, 2013 at 5:41:56 pm

That maybe do, but more than five times the capacity of all other data, software, OS files, and hidden files combined adds up to much more than can be explained by that reasoning, especially when you consider the fact that it was about 100 times the capacity of the receipts folder.

No users had ever connected to it because I hadn't had the time to finish setting it up.

It is more likely that there was a conflict between the 8th release if OSX Mavericks and the older version of Server that resided on this volume. This incompatibility set of an unexpected reaction. This was the first release of Server. There was a new release posted the same day the last edition of OSX Mavericks was released.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]