FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why are there dual ethernet ports on a MacPro? Here's a solution...

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
Why are there dual ethernet ports on a MacPro? Here's a solution...
on Aug 7, 2013 at 9:19:48 pm

Ever wonder why there are two Ethernet ports on the back of a MacPro tower? Well I finally set up a dual network to keep internet traffic on one and our media traffic for editing across systems on another...see how on my blog.

http://tiltmedia.com/blog.html

This setup allows all the internet traffic, including iPhones and client laptops plus all our uploading and downloading to run separately from our editing network. We edit across the network routinely and this new setup keeps the big media files happily on one Ethernet network and the other traffic on another.

Bingo! Cost less than $125.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Why are there dual ethernet ports on a MacPro? Here's a solution...
on Aug 21, 2013 at 12:09:12 pm

the two ports were put there for XSAN implementation, so you could create a meta data network on a second server (Xserve at the time).
We routinely use Ethernet port 2 for shared storage enviornments, but I am AMAZED that you can use a generic 1GbE switch, and have enough bandwidth to have 5 Mac Pros on the same network, and not have any "drop frame" errors". The entire bandwidth of a single 1GbE port is "theoretically" 125 MB/sec, but in real life about 100 MB/sec. The bandwidth of a single ProRes422HQ stream is 31 MB/sec, and other codecs are even higher, so I am very surprised that when you have 5 computers running, no one is getting stuttering, lockups or drop frame errors. When I started all of this in 2008, I tried the same thing that you are doing now, and I had nothing but problems.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]