FORUMS: list search recent posts

OSX Software Update caused white screen, jumpy mouse at start-up

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ann Clark
OSX Software Update caused white screen, jumpy mouse at start-up
on Aug 2, 2013 at 2:28:59 pm

UPDATE: Inquired at Apple Support, but the solutions offered seemed to include buying a new computer, or reverting to a clone of the system before the update. Neither suggestion seemed to address others experiencing the problem, and what they did about it. Suggestions welcome!

Anyone else see this issue?

I have a Mac Pro (2008) 3,1 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core IntelXeon with 24 GB memory.

I am running OSX 10.6.8.

Video board: ATI Radeon HD 5870

2 monitors

Just installed the most recent software updates from Apple.

* Java for Mac OSX 10.6 Update 16
* Security Update 2013-003
* iTunes 11.0.4

IMMEDIATELY upon installing and rebooting, I have these issues:

A WHITE SCREEN appears on one or both of my monitors for 20-30 seconds - then when I put in the password and the Mac finishes booting, the MOUSE JUMPS all over the screen and is too erratic to even hit Shutdown. After a couple of minutes the mouse calms down and the machine is usable.

I have never had these issues before, until I installed the software updates.

I tried these remedies:

Unplug the mac, let it sit, then replug in. This helped and the machine worked fine for a couple of days, then began having the same problems again. Unplugging again didn't help the second time, but zapping the PRAM did.

Zap the PRAM. This didn't work first time around, even trying it repeatedly. But it did seem to cure it when unplugging didn't do the trick.

Neither of these remedies appears to be a permanent fix, however.

One website suggested replacing the MacPro "battery" on the motherboard, although upgrades inside the machine make this tricky. However, the Date and Time on this computer are running perfectly, so this doesn't seem needed.

Again, everything was working quite well, prior to the update, and I have never ever seen this problem before on this machine or any others.

Any ideas?

- Ann

MacPro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 24GB memory - OSX10.6.8 FCP7

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
Re: OSX Software Update caused white screen, jumpy mouse at start-up
on Aug 7, 2013 at 9:01:15 am

Clone your system, and then upgrade your OS

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>