FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for a project management application for Mac

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Hybiak
Looking for a project management application for Mac
on Feb 14, 2013 at 10:45:18 pm

Hi everybody,

Not sure if this is the right forum category, seemed to be the closest match.

I use a WIDE array of software, including Final Cut Studio for editing, Autodesk Maya & Cinema 4D for 3D, Nuke and After Effects for compositing, Photoshop, etc. I also type up documents in Pages and Word, exchange PDF files containing relevant information to the project, e-mails between clients, video files as deliverables, etc.

I'm starting to get overwhelmed with keeping everything together. It seems like it would be a simple matter of "use a single folder per project", but there are some things I can't really keep together, like shared assets used in multiple projects, documents I need access to in Dropbox, etc. At least thats how it feels.

Does anybody have any advice? I'd be willing to pay almost any amount if there existed some piece of software for mac that was designed to organize and link files of MULTIPLE types together. Like I could create a project, add relevant client information and details to it directly, and just drag and drop files into the project from the Finder and it will automatically copy/move the file to a centralized location that it manages.

I don't know, I'm just ultimately trying to find a better solution. Doesn't help that I have organizational problems (I keep things as clean and tidy as possible because, inevitably, things become chaotic and I get stressed).

Any thoughts or advice? How do you guys organize projects like this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: Looking for a project management application for Mac
on Feb 14, 2013 at 11:29:18 pm

The file organization problem is a curse upon our generation. We keep Media in a single folder and then subfoldered to specifice networks, and then subfoldered there into specific projects. We then have another folder for 'clients', which contains everything non-media related (scripts, logs, creative briefs, etc). Once everybody is on board with it, that helps tremendously.

Now in terms of project management, we have come to embrace...the REMINDERS app! We have shared reminders (you can invite specific users to share it with you) so that all members of our team receive alerts when an important action is required at a specific time, etc. We have a reminder list of current projects, invoices due (with dates), random office work, long term and short term goals (get a new RAID drive, for example), and pretty much lists for anything you can think of. Different lists can have different subscribers so that some people aren't privy to personal lists.

Everybody ignores the reminders app, but it's more powerful than it looks.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]