FORUMS: list search recent posts

Would this work as a hackintosh?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Taylor
Would this work as a hackintosh?
on Oct 11, 2012 at 7:42:11 pm

Hi guys,

I've come to the stage where I need a better piece of kit for my video editing but don't have the money to purchase a mac pro or iMac...

So I wondered if this would work:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCHW-Multimedia-Overclocked-Bulldozer-Operating/dp/...

... with OS Lion installed as the operating system?

Would appreciate any feedback, thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: Would this work as a hackintosh?
on Oct 18, 2012 at 12:18:05 am

That’s about $640 without monitor, or software, not enough ram, not supported by Apple. So another $300 for monitor. Plus OS. So call it $1000. For another $250 you can get Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5. Still not enough ram. Still need external media drive. I think you want to be editing not be a hackintosh hobbiest.

Also you didn't say what NLE you want to use. AVID works on both platforms; Adobe works on both. FCP 7 is EOL. FCP X - the jury is still out. So if you can't afford a Mac get a PC. Setting up a true editing station costs more than your budget. Barebones you can get started. If you have FCP 7, stick it on a used Imac and you'll be fine for a couple of years. Or if you are student get the ed discount on Adobe PP or Avid MC and stick it on a PC.

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ben Taylor
Re: Would this work as a hackintosh?
on Nov 17, 2012 at 1:20:46 pm

Thanks very much for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]