FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking to move mobile > Macbook pro thunderbolt drive question

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martyn Greswolde
Looking to move mobile > Macbook pro thunderbolt drive question
on Oct 2, 2012 at 10:45:51 pm

thinking of ditching my macpro and using my macbook pro with some fast thunderbolt drives to run my photography and video business (portability of my main machine will be a big help)

I was looking at the LaCie little big disks or the caldigit t2.

Will have two of which ever drives are best, one for fast work storage and another solely as a time machine disk.
As these drives require software raid, should that be a concern? or would it be best to go for something like the promise R4? (could only afford one of these though)
Are there other things I need to consider before moving mobile?

Thanks

Martyn

Greswolde Photography
http://www.greswolde.com

I know little but I learn quickly!

Return to posts index

James McGlynn
Re: Looking to move mobile > Macbook pro thunderbolt drive question
on Oct 19, 2012 at 3:18:15 am

Hey Glad to hear you're going towards thunderbolt. After portability the leCies are not. You still need to power them and the are big. If you don't mind that you'll be fine, but if you want bang for your buck seagates go flex now call backup plus is a great way the go. Portable drives 1 TB for 80-100 bucks all you need is the seagate thunderbolt adapter and the cable. Also if you don't want to use the seagate drive which max out at 5200 rpm you can load any 2.5 drive into the adapter since it is a Sata dock. So you could dock internal drives to it. That includes SSD's! I used it to edit everyday and speed is never and issue even with the seagate drives. As for raiding it will not since its a single drive but there are ways to raid two different without software but that's a whole other tread. Hopefully this helped.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]