FORUMS: list search recent posts

e sata export speed vs firewire 800

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Schuck
e sata export speed vs firewire 800
on Oct 2, 2012 at 2:08:33 am

Hey all,

First I know this isn't completely an osx question, but wasn't sure what topic this would fit under. Thanks

I'm in the midst of dealing with what seems to be a shorted e sata card. I bought a lacie 4 port LaCie 4-Port eSATA II PCI Express Card and tried installing it, but once installed the tower won't boot up.

After taking it out, it booted up fine. I thought maybe since I have 2 gfx cards in the computer there could be a power battle so I removed the gfx card to no avail. Can someone confirm if this is in a fact a shorted card?

I started thinking of the advantages of e sata vs firewire when using for editing. I'm currently working for a production company where we are in need for speed for footage transferring. We are working all externally and will be constantly moving footage onto lacie cubes. We have a few mac minis and imacs with thunderbolt and I've seen that lacie makes a thunderbolt to e sata hub.

Which brings me to my next question. If I'm running on a 12 core intel xeon processor with 16gbs of ram. How much faster would a 42 minute export go if the footage was connected via esata than firewire 800?

From having other issues it seems like apple's new osx doesn't like internal esata cards and my initial move was to move back to snow leopard in hopes for a fix. This had worked for another computer I was using, but not this one. So now I don't know if I want to waste my money on another esata card unless the export speed difference is remarkably faster.

thanks for any guidance or support you can provide.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]