COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
macbook pro life expectancy
on Aug 11, 2012 at 3:33:37 pm

Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

My original hard drive is at the point where any added media storage slows it down. I move those files to an external drive and it speeds back up. I don't edit using the media on the system drive but being near the limit is getting old.

I bought the computer in 1/2009. So it is over 3 1/2 years old. This is nearing the end of life for a lot of hard drives so I am looking to upgrade the hard drive.

Question #1: is a 3 1/2 year old macbook pro worth any kind of heavy investment? It is out of warranty. I can get a 7200rpm HGST 750 gigs for about $100. I've watched the instruction videos to install and it does not seem too hard. and call it a day. OR???

I've also read the rave reviews of SSDs used as system drives though they are still pricey beyond 250 gigs. A 500 gig from crucial comes in at a bit over $400.

It is also possible to replace the DVD drive with a SSD and replace the original drive with a faster larger drive. If I did both I would most likely pay someone to do it for me and we are talking about a total of $700.

Question #2: I also wonder if this will shorten the life of the macbook pro in that two drives will generate more heat. I know SSDs run cooler but still the guts were not designed for this configuration.

Any experience or feedback on this type of upgrade would be appreciated.

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
Re: macbook pro life expectancy
on Oct 27, 2012 at 12:43:44 pm

I'd get a new one. I have the same laptop as you and I'm starting to consider it.
Upgrading the disks is good and SSDs will go much much faster (and the heat won't be an issue), but your GFX card is old and won't support the newer GPU offload stuff in Adobe.

The newer Ivy Bridge CPU also pulls in the Northbridge IO, so that's all sped up. The last time a major architecture like this happened was with Nehelam and Westemere. It was a huge leap in network performance for Small Tree. I think you'll see similar gains with Ivy Bridge

Steve

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]