FORUMS: list search recent posts

Saving to Hard drive on a Mac

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sabreena Unger
Saving to Hard drive on a Mac
on Apr 18, 2012 at 4:56:25 pm

I am looking to upgrade my computer at work which is a Mac Pro 5,3, and as part of that I wanted to take advantage of the 4 HDD slots inside, so that we work on some of our projects directly in the computer, without having to deal with an external HDD. My boss says that someone told her that it's bad to leave project files directly on the computer HDD, and that it's better to keep the projects on external HDDs instead. I can't really imagine why that would be, but I wanted to see if this sounded familiar to anyone, and if they know why that is, or if it's just rule that was made for computers where you couldn't add additional storage.

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Saving to Hard drive on a Mac
on Apr 18, 2012 at 5:24:36 pm

hello...

there is no technical reason that leaving files on an internal hdd is bad. i have to assume that they meant security-wise that it could be lost if the entire computer was stolen? hard to say what the person talking to your boss about...

but no - there is no reason that you shouldn't use the internal hdd slots if you have them...

sitruc

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Saving to Hard drive on a Mac
on Apr 18, 2012 at 7:35:14 pm

I assume that what your boss was told, was that you shouldn't keep MEDIA files (opposed to project files) on the same internal drive that has the OS installed. This is so one drive doesn't have to run your OS, the applications AND playback your media all at the same time. So, you should use the other internal drives or an external drive for your media files.

In my Mac Pro I have a 1TB drive in slot 1 for the OS and Apps, called "System Drive". Slots 2, 3 & 4 have 2TB drives in software RAID-0 for a 6TB "Media Drive". It's also important to keep backups of your files on another separate drive, like an external RAID-5. If you don't have a budget for back ups, you won't have a budget for anything when a drive inevitably fails.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]