FORUMS: list search recent posts

unable to boot from my drive/mz computer won't start

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Pajgrt
unable to boot from my drive/mz computer won't start
on Apr 1, 2012 at 9:58:38 pm

Here is what happened: I foolishly copied large video footage onto my drive and left it only with around 10GB free disk space. At first I wasnt able to get even the apple logo at the start up with the running circle, so I went to singular user mode and ran the repair. After that I got to the logo and never ending circle appeared.

Since then I tried to boot from the instal dvd - I have Snow Leopard - and tried to repair the disk using disk utility. That didnt work, cause the "could not unmount disk" came up.

So I instaled the mac OS on a 16GB flashdisk, booted from there, got to the original drive, copied my video footage, deleted it using the terminal, unmounted the disk using terminal, ran the repair in disk utility where I got the following:

Verify and Repair volume “Macintosh HD”

Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.

Checking extents overflow file.

Checking catalog file.

Unused node is not erased (node = 12565)

Checking multi-linked files.

Checking catalog hierarchy.

Checking extended attributes file.

Checking volume bitmap.

Volume bitmap needs minor repair for under-allocation

Checking volume information.

Invalid volume free block count

(It should be 4605321 instead of 4605318)

Volume header needs minor repair

The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Volume repair complete.Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

I suppose those are not good news, are they?

However, I restarted the computer, ran the disk repair again and this time it stated that the disk appears to be ok.

The problem: I have done a time machine backup 3 months ago and since then I have installed new applications, plugins, saved extensive amount of bookmarks in safari etc.

I am not even sure what kind of and how many changes I have done since.But I desperately need the computer to work.

My questions: 1) is there smt I can do, so I dont have to format it?
2) if formating is the only way can I somehow bauckup all I have in some complex way? on the other hand if the disk is corruput, it would probably not be wise to make a complete backup.

I am extremely gladful for any constructive advice, I really really need it working again.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]