FORUMS: list search recent posts

Big files swallowing hard disk

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlo Ferraro
Big files swallowing hard disk
on Mar 12, 2012 at 10:39:09 pm

I installed lion 10.7.2 on my iMac in Jan 2012 and since then the capacity of my HDD has been going down without logical reasons. Since it is not a portable mac the problem could not be the backing up automatically while not connected to time machine, I applied Clean your Mac but it only gave me 4 gb more.
Searching among hidden files I found the problem:
a "private " folder that is 420GB, in it a log folder with that load of 420GB and in it a "kernel.log.0" with 376Gb, a "kernel.log.1" with 19.31 and a "kernel.log.4" with 24.12GB, among other many files.
What to do? First time with this iMac on Lion, nothing wrong using Leopard or Snow leopard before.
Thanks

Imac 27 Quad 2.93, 8GB Ram, 1GB Graphics, FW800 external + Raid

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
Re: Big files swallowing hard disk
on Mar 13, 2012 at 12:03:22 pm

Those are kernel log files and they rotate regularly (kernel.log becomes kernel.log.1 etc).
They should not be so large. In fact, that's an amazing size. They are text files! 420GB of text is amazing. That's approximately 4 scientific libraries full of science books and journals (per file). with all of them together, your system is generating a library of congress or so each month :)

You probably can't open them with a normal editor because of their size. You can probably go into a terminal and do this:

cd /var/log
sudo bash (to become root)
head -100 kernel.log

This will dump the first 100 lines of the file. I imagine something is spewing messages very rapidly. You need to figure out what that is and stop it.

Steve

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]