FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Pro won't recognize Ethernet connection

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Babbitt
Mac Pro won't recognize Ethernet connection
on Jan 14, 2012 at 7:41:02 pm

I have a Mac Pro 1st generation machine running OS 10.6.8. For the last couple of months, every time I wake the machine from sleep or from a full power-down, it won't recognize the internet connection. I just get a message saying I am not connected. The diagnostics / trouble shooting in System Preferences gives me the same result. I have to restart the machine, sometimes more than once, in order to get my connection back. Once I have my connection, it stays connected until the machine is powered-down or put to sleep once again. This behavior has been consistent since it first began happening.

I have tried everything including repairing permissions and zapping the PRAM. I even swapped-out my memory modules. No success. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
Re: Mac Pro won't recognize Ethernet connection
on Jan 15, 2012 at 3:02:39 am

You should pull up the console app and look at the kernel log. I imagine the ethernet driver is unloading for some reason with an error.

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
Re: Mac Pro won't recognize Ethernet connection
on Jan 16, 2012 at 5:01:49 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Steve. After powering-up this morning, I looked in the Kernal Log and could find nothing relating to Ethernet listed. After re-booting the machine, I looked at the new log, and saw this:

Jan 16 08:49:39 localhost kernel[0]: AppleIntel8254XEthernet: Ethernet address 00:17:f2:03:db:33
Jan 16 08:49:39 localhost kernel[0]: AppleIntel8254XEthernet: Ethernet address 00:17:f2:03:db:34

So, the only difference in the two logs is that the log from when I first booted up the machine today is missing these two lines, and there is no message or indication as to why.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]