FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting a new computer for speed (with Lion) but don't want to lose FCP7, other apps, or Snow Leopard...

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
laura meoli
Getting a new computer for speed (with Lion) but don't want to lose FCP7, other apps, or Snow Leopard...
on Sep 28, 2011 at 1:50:34 pm

Hi there,

I'm getting a new Mac that has lots more RAM, but will have Lion Installed on it. I use this computer mostly for video editing and graphics programs such as Photoshop, FCP7, and Aftereffects, and I am definitely not switching to FCPX.

I need the switch to this computer to be quick and leave all my programs, settings, etc. How can I do this? I wouldn't mind keeping Snow Leopard that is on my current machine.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: Getting a new computer for speed (with Lion) but don't want to lose FCP7, other apps, or Snow Leopard...
on Sep 28, 2011 at 7:47:39 pm

The only thing I lost was MS Word 2004, because Lion doesn't support rosetta, which was needed to run those programs. Parallels needed an update to run windows. Lots of other apps had compatibility updates, but that wasn't too intensive.

I believe if you run time machine on your old machine to an external drive, you should have your entire computer recreated on the new Lion system. Sounds like almost all your apps should work, assuming you're up to date on them all.

Good luck!

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

laura meoli
Re: Getting a new computer for speed (with Lion) but don't want to lose FCP7, other apps, or Snow Leopard...
on Sep 28, 2011 at 7:50:21 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. What if I wanted to keep Snow Leopard? and make it look as if everything on the computer I'm on now, is exactly on the new computer?

thanks again,

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Sep 28, 2011 at 7:53:32 pm

If it's a brand new computer, there's a solid chance SL won't have drivers to run it. All our production machines are Lion, so I'd say try it first and then if you must you can try going backwards. I'd wait a week or two. See what happens with Apple next week. Lion's getting an update soon, so it might be good enough for ya.

Bob Zelin had to downgrade a bunch of macs recently to SL, so I think it's possible. I think it was in this forum a few posts down.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Sep 28, 2011 at 7:56:43 pm

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/71/862483

His need was really specific to rosetta though. Not sure if his solution would really be useful to you. I like Lion and wouldn't want to go back to SL.

Return to posts index

laura meoli
on Sep 28, 2011 at 8:20:13 pm

thanks for your help John. I appreciate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]