FORUMS: list search recent posts

Locking a series of folders

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricky Milling
Locking a series of folders
on Aug 31, 2011 at 10:14:39 am

I have a folder than contains a number of sub folders and materials, such as music, videos and documents. I want it so that when i lock the top folder everything else beneath it can be access but cannot be modified and that this folder structure can be placed on other macs quickly when needed.

I have tried locking the main folder, however it only effects one level, so when i get deeper in to it i can delete files ect. I could lock every file but this will take a while.

NOTE: i dont want to use the create a disk image way, this just adds time.

Return to posts index

Joel Hufford
Re: Locking a series of folders
on Aug 31, 2011 at 6:50:50 pm

Hi Ricky,

Unfortunately, the best way to go about this using only the built-in tools in Mac OS X is to create a password protected disk image using the disk utility and then place the files inside of it.

You could change the permissions on the folder so that you were the only user who had read/write/execute access. This would prevent other users on the computer from being able to see or modify any of those files, however, if someone were to use your computer while logged in as you, they would be able to do whatever they wanted. So, it's a second option, but isn't nearly as secure.

Also, consider the fact that, depending on the kind of file you're modifying, changing the permission settings may have unintended consequences. It sounds like you're just trying to lock down some personal word documents or spreadsheets or something like that, but if you start changing the permission settings on application or system files, you may break a program, or your entire OS if you're not careful.

There are third party options available for this kind of task, but ultimately, I would revisit the disk image idea.

Joel

joel
Corporate and Special Event Staging Services
http://www.pacificstaging.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: Locking a series of folders
on Sep 2, 2011 at 10:47:28 pm

if you open the folder you can select all the subfolders and files command-A and then get info command-I and make changes -- lock/permissions to all at once.

I have not tried this and have always found permission issues buggy in OS X. But it is an option.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]