FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrade Macbook Pro or New Desktop Mac?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brie Dixon
Upgrade Macbook Pro or New Desktop Mac?
on Aug 18, 2011 at 9:49:38 am

Hi All,

I bought my MacBook Pro 5 w/ 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor at the start of 2010. Since then I have taken a massive interest in Post Production, which of course takes a lot more out of the computer than I originally knew.

Overall its a good machine but I find the render time for FCP and AE can be pretty intolerable, and as I am planning to add Colour Grading software to the system shortly not sure if the system will be able to handle it.

As I am signed on as a designated editor and colour grader for the next few months I was wondering thoughts on whether is is worth upgrading ram and other things on my macbook (and what you would recommend) or if I should just invest in a desktop mac (and what will be the best for prosumer post production?)

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before! Thanks in advance for any help!

Brie Dixon. :)

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: Upgrade Macbook Pro or New Desktop Mac?
on Aug 19, 2011 at 12:24:06 am

If you need a new machine right now, I wouldn't bother with one of the new Mac Pros. Try to find a good deal on a used one. Apple is either going to refresh the line soon or drop it entirely.

Anyone's guess at this point what they will do.

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
Re: Upgrade Macbook Pro or New Desktop Mac?
on Aug 19, 2011 at 9:40:25 am

I agree, we're kind of in twilight zone. On the other hand, if money is no problem for you, you might take a look at this model: Two 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere” (8 cores). This is my weapon of choice.

Sony PMW-EX3, Canon Mark II 5D, FCS3 in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]