FORUMS: list search recent posts

OS X Lion download insanity

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
OS X Lion download insanity
on Jul 28, 2011 at 7:04:56 pm

Just bitching -

It's 3pm, and I am doing my first paying OS X Lion installation.
Created a OS X 10.6.8 boot disk, repaired permissions, and I am ready to go. Now, I have already downloaded OS X Lion late at night on my home system, along with server, so I could learn all of this, but now, it's for real - its for money.

And so I am downloading. IT IS PAINFULLY SLOW. What if I had to do 3 or 4 different clients a day? I know how to burn a DVD with OS X 10.7 on it (I made one for myself), but it is illegal to use this for new systems - you HAVE to download, and it looks like its barely crawling on my very fast cable modem, with no other traffic on it, except for this PC that I am bitching on.

Apple is killing me.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jeff Bernstein
Re: OS X Lion download insanity
on Jul 28, 2011 at 11:17:37 pm

It's only going to get worse. Next month, however, you will be able to get Lion on a USB thumb drive.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: OS X Lion download insanity
on Jul 30, 2011 at 3:36:55 pm

After download but before installing, copy the 'install lion' application that gets downloaded to your applications folder. Take that 'install lion' app and copy it to a thumb drive. If you don't copy it to the desktop, it gets deleted during install.

As long as you're copying to a mac with the same app store login, (like if you have two macs), you're fine. If you were to install it on a mac with a different app store login, I believe it might charge whatever account is logged in to the App Store, regardless of who downloaded it. It does some verification check at the beginning of install.

That may, however, be part of my developer copy. I had to do that procedure last night as I was missing the gesture demo videos in sys prefs for some reason.

Apple should just give the software away.

All of our macs are lion now - even the production machines. FCP7 seems snappier now. I may be crazy.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]