FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't find VIDEO_TS folder in Finder in order to rip home movie DVDs

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Bowman
Can't find VIDEO_TS folder in Finder in order to rip home movie DVDs
on Jul 26, 2011 at 3:54:04 am

Hello, I hope this is the right place for this post. I'm helping a friend rip her home movie DVDs that a company transfered over from VHS so she can edit them herself. She was using Mac the Ripper but wanted better software so I told her to get Cinematize. Long story short, Cinematize couldn't recognize the DVDs and I opened up finder to manually add the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders only to find that Finder shows nothing and reads 0 items, Zero kb available. The DVD fires up and plays just fine in DVD Player and we're able to rip the whole DVD via Mac the Ripper but she only wants to capture bits and pieces not the whole disc. So my question is, why doesn't Finder display the DVD folders? I've never encountered nor heard of anyone who's experienced this problem. I don't know the model of the DVD recorder that was used but I'm pretty sure it's a Panasonic if that helps. She's running 10.6.7 Snow Leopard on a Core 2 Duo MacBook. Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Bowman
Re: Can't find VIDEO_TS folder in Finder in order to rip home movie DVDs
on Jul 26, 2011 at 4:02:35 am

Well, I still haven't figured out the problem but I just noticed that Mac the Ripper is actually ripping the VIDEO_TS folder so I'm doing that then converting them in Cinematize. It's working but it'd be nice to get rid of the Mac the Ripper step. Thanks for your time!

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on Jul 27, 2011 at 9:39:33 pm

DVD camcorders typically don't create Video_TS folders, but just create straight .mpeg files or VOB files, which indeed will usually play ok for viewing on a home player. This topic has been discussed on other COW forums in the past; the usual advice regarding editing camcorder mini-DVD is "run away!". Also, if the camcorder disc was recorded at the equivalent of "LP" or "EP" speeds, it will look pretty bad. And, if the disc was not finalized, it's content may not be recoverable as a file. You could always simply dub video and audio to another tape format, or directly into your system as an uncontrolled device. At this point, and with this format, there is little further notion of "quality" so do whatever works! And, of course, the suggestion posted daily in the editing forums, MPEG Streamclip http://www.squared5.com, free.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Bowman
on Aug 24, 2011 at 6:29:33 pm

Chuck,

Thank you for your response! I think she's going to try and dub the rest of the media she has to tape and just do the two part step for the DVDs she's already made. The tape workflow should work much better. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]