FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cannot Empty Trash!

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joseph wilkins
Cannot Empty Trash!
on Jul 12, 2011 at 6:15:03 pm

So I wanted to use an old drive I used to have set as a Time Machine Drive, but no longer use, so I dragged the "Backups.backupdb" folder to the trash, then tried to empty it...

After about an hour I got this error:

The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8003).

Now I have this 300 GB folder stuck in my trash with no way of deleting it.

I have looked at some online tutorials that tell you to go to the terminal and set the permissions to be able to delete, but nothing has helped thus far.

Can anyone PLEASE help me?

thanks

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Cannot Empty Trash!
on Jul 12, 2011 at 6:48:27 pm

hello...

ya - deleting time machine backups doesn't work so good... :-/

if possible, just format the original drive that you are using for backups via the disk utility - that should get rid of the backup in the trash. it's what i did after i got stuck as well with a large file in the trash (it didn't dawn on me that you couldn't just delete those files either).

sitruc

Return to posts index

joseph wilkins
on Jul 12, 2011 at 7:44:54 pm

so i've since renamed and formatted the drive it came from, so now its just orphaned in the trash can...

any other ideas?

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Jul 12, 2011 at 11:12:06 pm

hmm - have you also turned off time machine? and i assume you re-tried deleting it once the drive was formatted?

Return to posts index

joseph wilkins
on Jul 13, 2011 at 1:40:39 pm

so I called and they said the only way to do it was to reformat my drive... which finally fixed it

thanks guys

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Jul 13, 2011 at 1:53:27 pm

reformat your main drive? apple told you that?

(or reformat the backup drive? i'd suggested that as it worked for me but you said that it didn't for you?)

Return to posts index

André Engelhardt
on Jul 13, 2011 at 10:46:23 am

Type:

rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

in Terminal, or holding down the Option key while emptying does a force empty trash too.

--
Audio Engineer, Sound Designer
Video- and Photographer
http://www.andreengelhardt.net

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Jul 13, 2011 at 1:31:15 pm

personally, i did su to root and did the trash removal but at the time it didn't work. i was in a smidge of a hurry so a quick format was next anyway as i had to get rid of the rest...

i must not have done the force option, but i swore i did. logically, root can remove all...

i am still fairly confident that it won't work if you don't remove from the shell as root, though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]