FORUMS: list search recent posts

Os lion? And towers

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Burke
Os lion? And towers
on Jun 27, 2011 at 9:42:33 pm

Okay so After watching and reading about Os lion I have to ask, what advantage will professionals working on macpro towers have? I mean the whole focus seems to been on the stupid touch pad? I mean it seems great for laptops and portables. But seems unessary for people (like me) who work mainly on my desktop. Am I missing somethig?

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
Re: Os lion? And towers
on Jun 28, 2011 at 12:53:04 am

Btw Im not Bashing the OS, Just would like to understand what it does "better" than the finger gestures

I wear many hats.

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Jun 28, 2011 at 3:40:00 am

Anyone...?

I wear many hats.

Return to posts index

Matt Doe
on Jun 28, 2011 at 2:55:24 pm

I think it comes in the form of app developers writing to the new APIs in Lion (versioning, auto save, etc).

Yes, a lot of what they advertise is the flashy gesture based stuff, which you can take advantage of on a desktop with their magic trackpad, if you so desire.

But, I think there is plenty of under the hood enhancements they don't talk about that make the upgrade worth it.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:44:24 am

Lion specifically won't make a pro tower any more 'pro'.
A tower's advantage is flexibility, more power/processors, cheaper/more/expandable video cards, the potential for more ram, the ability to have cheaper/faster access to more hard drives.

But lion itself? Nothing huge except possibly, being able to exploit that hardware better; but apple designs the OS so it's useable on even a mini.

So, no, Lion doesn't provide anything really specific beyond OS optimization/change.

And you can always get a Magic Pad for that desktop for the new stupid gestures.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 10, 2011 at 8:28:32 pm

Seems stupid, but after spending hours on my laptop, when I move to my tower, I sometimes find myself reaching for the built in track pad that’s not on my Mac keyboard. I think they should add it. Not on the side where my mouse is but toward my hands like on the laptop. And sometimes I like it more than mousing. The other advantage might be the day or two you spend backing up, Installing fresh. Updating. Discovering bugs and drivers that don’t work and legacy apps that won’t work. Should be a blast.

Seriously, I’d wait for it to come out and read the feedback of folk with the same system. It might speed things up. Can’t imagine the new features will mean all that much. You most likely will need to update soon to be allowed to use some new app that won’t work without it.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]