FORUMS: list search recent posts

10.6.8 CRASH! Need a SOLUTION

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Griffin
10.6.8 CRASH! Need a SOLUTION
on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:09:55 pm

I just ran the 10.6.8 updater and can't get past start-up without "safe re-booting." Attempting a normal start-up brings up the death screen. Tried repairing permissions, said no repair necessary and start-up crashes continue. At the moment downloading the Combo 10.6.8 updater and will see if that fixes the problem. If it does, I'll report back. If not... HELP! ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO GET BACK TO NORMAL?

Just in case this matters, Octo-Core/ Intel Mac Pro with all drive bays filled and Cal-Digit RAID connected via Cal-Digit eSATA card. (Could drivers for this be the problem?? Where do they live and how so I remove them?)

THANX for any help anyone can provide.

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
Re: 10.6.8 CRASH! Need a SOLUTION
on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:33:07 pm

Drivers live in /System/Library/Extensions

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jun 25, 2011 at 3:45:31 pm

Thanx!

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jun 25, 2011 at 5:48:07 am

Do you have AJA drivers installed? We had to delete ours to get it to boot.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jun 25, 2011 at 3:53:06 pm

Thanx! It worked but now I can't access the Kona 3 card, hence run the external monitor. Tried the 9.01 driver and it also crashes on start-up. So now what?? Any way to un-do the 10.6.8 update WITHOUT disrupting everything else that was working before, as a complete re-install would do?

This has been a helluva week for Apple.

Return to posts index

Armando Ciurana
on Jun 25, 2011 at 7:47:44 pm

I´ve been having the same problem! PLEASE HELP! is there any way to download the update before 10.6.8? I cannot work at all

Thanks!

President
Ciurana Dussauge Films Mexico

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jun 25, 2011 at 8:52:16 pm

Guys, I don't know what to tell you. AJA's gotta update drivers to work with 10.6.8. I've never downgraded to an older version, but it must be possible. Probably the solution is to reinstall snow leopard, find the previous 10.6.7 download file (it probably lives on the web, right?). and run only the 10.6.7 update and any pro-apps updates - but NOT by the software update method. I've never seen a software update actually break drivers like this.

A bad week for Apple is putting it mildly.

Return to posts index

Armando Ciurana
on Jun 26, 2011 at 12:46:52 am

Earlier I posted that my Mac Pro was crashing on start and doesn´t even load the Os.

Thanks John Davidson from Magic Feather and the people from AJA!

Here´s what we do:

1.- is the Snow Leopard update 10.6.8 what was causing the problem
2.- we install snow leopard from the install DVD, without erasing the data on the disk, just the Os.
3.- we downloaded from apple the Snow Leopard update 10.6.7

link:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/
Name: Mac OS X v10.6.7 Update Combo

4.- once installed we checked for updates, there were a few, download all except the Snow Leopard 10.6.8 Update

5.- run again Disk Utility from Snow Leopard install DVD, then repair disk and permissions

6.- restart the Mac Pro

It sounds like jumping through hoops, but that did the trick for us, the system is running ok now.

Is important to say that both John Davidson and the People from AJA recommended us to wait until Monday, AJA is already working on this issue and coming with solutions Monday or Twesday. we did this as an emergency measure because we deliver MASTERS early monday, if this is not your case, you should wait.

so I´m going to bed, I had enough Apple for this week!

Best!

President
Ciurana Dussauge Films Mexico

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jun 26, 2011 at 2:16:42 am

You're welcome! I felt a little responsible since i had posted in the FCPX forum that the update was out. Apple recommends 10.6.8 for FCPX, however as we've learned, it's always a good idea to wait for others to jump into the update pool first :).
Have a great rest of the weekend!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 5, 2011 at 9:43:01 pm

Hi
I assume that all have you have discovered the solution for this.
You can't be running OS X with Nvidia cards AND AJA Kona cards in 32 bit mode. Pull out your Kona, change the MAC to 64 bit, reboot and reinstall your Kona, and you will be fine. I am writing this on
7/5/2011, so I assume that everyone has discovered this by now.

To change your MAC to 64 bit -
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/98/878649

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]