FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slow transfer rate

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Langdon
Slow transfer rate
on May 12, 2011 at 3:58:16 pm

I just started a job with a client that has an external LAcie 1Tb drive, very seldom used and probably less athn a year old.

It is very slow when it comes to accessing the data on it (always using FW800), transfering files to/from it... 100Gb took 6 hours, for example, to bring onto it from a USB2 external drive which has no history of being slow.

The client claimed this started happening after she placed 2500 or so high-resolution photos on the drive. I checked the photos, indeed several where corrupt, slow to copy off the drive, etc... after painstakingly taking off the drive all photos I could (a few photos had to be trashed), I deleted the photos and their folders from the Lacie external drive and emptied the trash, but the problem persists. Is it because the "erased' material is really just ghosting on the drive until it gets written over? Should I re-format the drive , zero-ing the drive completely?

Note: the drive was originally formated to be partitioned: it has 100 GB as a PC-friendly volume, and 900 as Mac-friendly. I have run Disk Utility app on both partitions, repaired whenever called for, and ran Disk Warrior on the Mac-volume, organizing the data on it ( unfortunatelly, the 100 GB PC volume I cannot run DW on), but the problem still exists.

So, I can only think of transfering everything over to an external drive (will take HOURS or DAYS) and re-formating the drive, with no PC volume, just in case.

Can anyone suggest a less laborious / slow solution? I don't even know if this WILL solve the issue...!

Return to posts index

Chris Gordon
Re: Slow transfer rate
on May 12, 2011 at 11:57:04 pm

I would reformat the HFS+ partition (the 900 GB one). I'm guessing something got messed up with the file system at some point. If that doesn't solve it, repartition and reformat the entire disk.

Have you been able to test this disk on another machine? With a different firewire cable?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]