FORUMS: list search recent posts

Move files from Mac to PC

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philippe Gariepy
Move files from Mac to PC
on Feb 16, 2011 at 7:39:03 pm

Hello everyone,

I need to move around 250 Gb that are now located on one of my Mac-formatted external hard drive to a PC-formatted one. I know all about the problems I'm going to have with the FAT32 formatting and everything. What would be the best solution? Is there any way to make this work easily?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Move files from Mac to PC
on Feb 16, 2011 at 11:16:41 pm

Simplest solution would be to install this on the Windows machine http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive thus allowing windows to read your mac drive. That way you only have to copy the files once onto the windows machine.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Pattie Olson
on Feb 19, 2011 at 7:18:27 pm

I have this same transfer issue and would like some additional advice. I have large 4+Gig vid files that are on a G-Drive Apple MacBook and I'm trying to get them on my PC with MacDrive(trial version I downloaded today) When I plug in the drive, my system sees the HD, but none of the files. Would using a different HD, like a Western Digital or Seagate instead of the G Drive make any difference or not?

Thanks,

Pattie

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 20, 2011 at 3:29:30 am

Zane,

Isn't fat32 already cross platform?

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Feb 20, 2011 at 3:34:01 am

Yes fat32 will work on both Mac & windows, but it still has a 4GB file size limit.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Feb 24, 2011 at 9:16:45 pm

i'm all Mac, and archving a pile of client files to send to him, and he is all PC. i've formatted some drives to ExFAT to get around the 2GB file limit, and will send him those. this is the first time i will have sent him ExFAT drives, but from what i've read, he SHOULD be able to read them. if not, i still have copies of everything here that i could send again, maybe with the MacDrive reader on Mac-formatted drives.

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

FCS3
2.66 GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]