FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Snow Leopard install and problems

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Scott
New Snow Leopard install and problems
on Dec 30, 2010 at 9:06:07 pm

I just installed Snow Leopard onto a new drive in my Mac Pro which has two internal CD/DVD burners. Since installing I am unable to open the lower DVD burner using the option-eject keyboard command - it simply opens the upper one as well as does the eject key alone. There is the eject icon on the right side of the menu bar which does give the option of opening and closing either one, but occasionally I have found that clicking on it to open its menu results in its icon turning and remaining blue, and the menu disappearing. The only way to get it back to normal is through a restart.

Any ideas? Thanks

Return to posts index

David Hall
Re: New Snow Leopard install and problems
on Jan 3, 2011 at 5:58:28 pm

Jim, there is a Utility available from Apple's site called Ejectlet that might be of some use as a workaround. I have included the link to it below.

As for the issue itself, if you go into System Profiler and click on either ATA or Disk Burning under Hardware, does the system recognize the second optical drive? Was this a problem before you installed the new OS?

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/ejectlet.html

David Hall

Support Technician
New Media Hollywood

Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.6

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jan 3, 2011 at 9:28:25 pm

Thanks for the reply David.

Yes, the drive is recognized in System Profiler, and no this was not a problem on Leopard. I'm beginning to think that there may be more going on here as I am having increasing problems with hanging programs. For example, when I first tried to access the System Profiler in order to answer your question I got a spinning beachball and had to Force Quit and restart in order to finally access it. I have had a similar experience with Disk Utility as well as some Adobe CS5 programs. Interestingly enough after the restart there was a recovered file in the trash - com.adobe.dynamiclinkmanagerCS5 - which I have seen before after restarts. I have also seen a set of fonts (the same 7 ttf fonts) in the recovered files folder several times after a restart. Something is amiss.

Since I have heard that bad RAM can cause odd behavior I ran a RAM test with Rember. It took four hours and showed OK when it was complete. I have four 4gb Crucial RAM sticks, plus two 1gb Apple sticks.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Jan 3, 2011 at 10:22:13 pm

Do you have extensions in /System/Library/Extensions that are older than the snow leopard install date? If so, those may need to be removed/upgraded. You don't want old drivers laying around.

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jan 3, 2011 at 11:56:05 pm

Thanks for the input Steve.

As far as extensions go my folder has 224 of them, most of which show dates much earlier than my Snow Leopard install. When installing Snow Leopard I did choose to have "settings" moved over from my old system so I assume the extensions came along then. As far as which ones to keep, and which ones to get rid of... I haven't a clue. Do you?

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Jan 4, 2011 at 12:42:59 am

[Jim Scott] "As far as extensions go my folder has 224 of them, most of which show dates much earlier than my Snow Leopard install. When installing Snow Leopard I did choose to have "settings" moved over from my old system so I assume the extensions came along then. As far as which ones to keep, and which ones to get rid of... I haven't a clue. Do you?"

There's no way to know for sure since they may be from other manufacturers. Drivers generally don't come along when you upgrade. I'd do the archive/install thing and let it go from scratch.

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jan 4, 2011 at 1:18:23 am

Thanks again Steve.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Problem solved
on Jan 6, 2011 at 12:18:33 am

After testing all my memory and running the Apple Hardware test with no problems noted I took my Mac into the Apple Store and had them run some diagnostics. They say my lower DVD burner is bad and have ordered a replacement. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

Thanks all for your input.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]