FORUMS: list search recent posts

Disk imaging and what's next

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy Early
Disk imaging and what's next
on Nov 22, 2010 at 8:16:21 pm

looking to upgrade the os... i imaged the system drive so i won't have to reinstall all my adobe software, presets/actions/brushes/third party plugins etc. Now once the upgrade is complete do i just drag and drop my imaged system drive back onto the newly upgraded system drive?

a little confusing for us newer mac fans...

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: Disk imaging and what's next
on Nov 23, 2010 at 1:04:00 am

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/fcp_homepage_index.html

scroll down to

Reinstall OS X & Final Cut Studio The Right Way - Part 3 - By David A. Saraceno

Reinstall OS X & Final Cut Studio The Right Way - Part 2 - By David A. Saraceno

Reinstall OS X & Final Cut Studio The Right Way - Part 1 - By David A. Saraceno

It will take you through the best way to set up a trouble free upgraded Mac regardless of whether you are using FCS or not. It uses images extensively but gives you details on the proper steps. Not as easy as dropping one big image onto the new system.

Start by cloning your system drive using the free CCC, http://www.bombich.com/, to an external drive. This will give you a bootable back up/clone which is the best on-going back-up strategy anyway. You can even continue to get work done while you are building you new system. Just boot using the external drive APPLE MENU>SYSTEM PREFERENCES>SYSTEM START UP and choose you external clone.

The tricky part will be things like your email data that is not stored as regular documents in the documents folder. But since you will have a complete clone of your old system, you can do a search on-line for where the missing files/data is stored, app by app, and drag the right file into the right location on the new system.

If you are using apple's MAIL app, first highlight each of your mailboxes and go to MAILBOX>archive mailbox and save it where you want. That will back up your email files. This is a good practice even if you are cloning regularly since if the mail files get corrupted, all your mail can be lost.

CCC can be incremental so its pretty fast after the first clone. The install method above is also way faster than using install DVDs. Get yourself some external drives. At least one each for: clone(s) of your system drive, reinstalling/updating all apps using disc images, to use as as media drive(s).

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Timothy Early
Re: Disk imaging and what's next
on Nov 23, 2010 at 6:18:20 pm

This is why i come to the cow!

awesome links and solid recommended best practices...

thanks man, seriously.

Matthew

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]