FORUMS: list search recent posts

Synchronization Program for Mac

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Olson
Synchronization Program for Mac
on Nov 19, 2010 at 10:52:19 pm

Can someone recommend a good program for synchronizing important files on my MacBook?

I need something that can quickly and efficiently compare the files on my system drive and then either delete or copy over the files to an external drive.

I use Syncback SE on my PC but haven't had much luck on Mac (not a native mac person.)

Thanks,

EO

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
Re: Synchronization Program for Mac
on Nov 20, 2010 at 12:02:24 am

Have a look at sugersync or crashback. Hope that helps.

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
http://www.depictproductions.co.uk

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Nov 20, 2010 at 12:05:32 am

Sorry I meant crashplan. Also maybe goodsync or synkron.

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
http://www.depictproductions.co.uk

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Nov 20, 2010 at 1:28:46 am

What file size you talking about here.

Mobile me and dropbox will get the job done nicely.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Eric Olson
on Dec 2, 2010 at 3:20:36 pm

We're talking 120 GB of data. I can store it on an external drive though.

EO

Return to posts index

Chris Gordon
on Dec 2, 2010 at 1:25:51 am

I'm expect this will be out of your comfort level, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

My personal favorite tool for this kind of thing is rsync. It's an extremely powerful unix command line tool that can do exactly what you want and a whole lot more -- I've built an entire backup system around it. If you move lots of files or keep lots of things in sync, it is probably worth the learning curve. Incidentally it was originally written by the author of Samba.

Return to posts index

Joel Hufford
on Dec 3, 2010 at 7:11:35 pm

I'll second what Chris said.

If you're at all comfortable with using the Terminal and the command line, I don't think you can beat rsync.

I've been using rsync, paired with SSH to perform nightly incremental backups to a secured offsite server for several months now. It's fairly simple to implement after reading a few manual pages in the Terminal.

It certainly doesn't have the polish of an expensive GUI based backup system, but I think that's one of the things I like about it. It operates at such a basic filesystem level that you don't have to worry about complicated preference settings or a big application that eats up system resources and slows down your machine.

paired with the "cron" command, you can setup your mac to automatically perform these backups as often as you like, daily, weekly, monthly, etc.

also, it's possible to have rsync create a log about every backup it makes, this way you can check the next day to ensure all of your files were copied correctly.

a quick google search will return a ton of information about rsync. You can also learn a lot by reading the manual page in the terminal. just type "man rsync" in any terminal window.

joel
Corporate and Special Event Staging Services
http://www.pacificstaging.com

Return to posts index

Thie Thomsen
on Dec 10, 2010 at 8:36:57 am

Rsync beats most GUI based apps in terms of speed and reliabillity. Also, if you work a lot with files and structures, a little terminal experience can go a long way, and you might even save a buck or two because of the software allready available on your mac :) (So you don't have to buy an expensive backup app).

---
I can see your spot colours...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]