FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicktime Playback issues

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan loetscher
Quicktime Playback issues
on Nov 15, 2010 at 10:34:45 pm

Have an issue with codec back compatibility... I've seemingly pinpointed the issue but am not sure on the solution.

I work for a company that sells closed circuit programing. Before I was hired they decided to make their own, in-house broadcast server that used a mac mini as the processor and played out of iTunes while we would send them all footage updates on a hard drive that would be connected to the unit... that, obviously, was a huge mistake. They had all kinds of issues and durability problems and we've been dealing with the legacy client's issues ever since we scrapped them. The most current issue was noticed by our install tech who saw weird skipping and green screens... which I immediately recognized as a codec compatibility issue with the player. I had him upgrade QT and it solved the issue.

So here's the rub. We cannot upgrade the computers in the field. We're looking at possibly running an upgrade script off the hard drives we send, but we cant ask our customers to by pass their firewall and download upgrades. So the problem is that I am compressing to H.264 on a mac with snow leopard and QT X, and we are sending them to customers with OS 10.4.10 and 10.5.2 with QT 7.0.3, and the new QT codec is not playing well with the older one.

I've looked to see if I can downgrade QT and recomposes, but to no avail... it seems Apple has a QT 7 patch that fixes YOUR computer's compatibility.... but I need to make our files compatible with thier older computers. Maybe I'm making this issue a little complicated, but I don't know how to fix it... thoughts?

Return to posts index

ryan loetscher
Re: Quicktime Playback issues
on Nov 17, 2010 at 6:36:23 pm

Solved my own problem... got extensions mixed up with codecs. The reason the files wont work in the old system is because QT 7.0.3 doesn't support H.264, has nothing to do with QT... so unfortunately I'm going to have to re-compress in mpeg 2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]