FORUMS: list search recent posts

invalid node structure, won't boot

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rachel pandza
invalid node structure, won't boot
on Aug 11, 2010 at 6:35:44 pm

Hello
I have a G5. Dual 1.8 GHz PowerPC. It has two internal hard drives and as much memory as this model allows.

I recently ran the instant software updater while the computer currently was running 10.5.1 and when it was restarted I got the gray screen and some error popped up and now I can't get to the start screen.

I think it may have tried to update OS to an incompatible newer version.

It won't do safe mode.
I only have a 10.5 cd which it says can't be installed(probably because its an older version) and a 10.5.1 cd that was originally from an intel mac( which also says mac os cannot be installed on this computer) It shows only one internal hard drive running 10.5.1 and when I try to repair or verify the disk it says
Invalid Node structure

That drive can't be booted from

I tried rebooting from an external USB with os 10.5.8 put on it with diskutility, but when I hold the shift key it only shows a clock spinwheel and won't show me any other bootable hard drive available except the bad one.

I don't have a firewire drive to use to boot from or a drive to carbon copy everything off the computer.

I just want to find a way to somehow boot from either a drive or cd that will actually gvie me the option to archive and install.Does anyone know how to get a cd with the version i need.

I don't know how to create a bootable cd of os that will work with a g5 powerpc.

I want to avoid buying diskwarrior, or two harddrives to back things up, or an expensive bootable cd.

What is the cheapest option I have to fix this problem, and if I get a firewire drive loaded with os, will the g5 even boot from it?

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: invalid node structure, won't boot
on Aug 12, 2010 at 4:26:06 pm

"I have a G5. Dual 1.8 GHz PowerPC"

"I tried rebooting from an external USB with os 10.5.8 put on it with diskutility, but when I hold the shift key it only shows a clock pinwheel"

PPC machines will not boot from a USB drive. Only intel macs will boot from USB drives.

And holding down the shift key wont let you choose what you want to boot from. The key you want to hold is the option key.

"I want to avoid buying diskwarrior"

Don't avoid it Disk Warrior is your best bet at fixing a invalid node structure. I have NEVER seen disk utility fix the corruption of a invalid node structure. Disk Warrior is your beat option at fixing that kind of corruption.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]