FORUMS: list search recent posts

What kind of machine do I need?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Stark
What kind of machine do I need?
on Jul 27, 2010 at 10:47:59 pm

Please pardon me if this isn't the correct place to post this.

I have owned a dual 2.0 Powermac G5 since 2004. I primarily use it for editing/rendering on FCP, basic graphics in Photoshop, basic rendering in AE, and internet. Though I've wiped the hd & installed upgraded OS over the years, it seems to bog down during FCP renders and the most basic, elementary-school graphics playback in AE. Streaming tv shows from network sites like ABC.com stutter during playback.

I looked into getting a new machine (maybe the upcoming 12-core Mac Pro) to solve these problems, but I was told that more cores won't solve my problem. That I should keep my old powermac and max it out with memory cards. That a 12-core machine is only for serious "gamers" and 100+ layer video composites.

Confused, I thought there was no better place to ask than the geniuses at the Cow! Would dropping the cash on a new 12-core processor solve these problems, or should I keep my old G5 and spend the money on memory?

Thanks for any advice!

Return to posts index

Blake Porter
Re: What kind of machine do I need?
on Jul 28, 2010 at 7:52:44 pm

I'm in the exact same situation with a Dual G5 editing XDCAM in FCP, using an external Firewire. Timeline plays poorly, but works.
FCP's slow playback and rendering of XDCAM are my issues
Hope someone answers your post!

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 28, 2010 at 8:30:09 pm

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1077093

A couple of thoughts: You do store your media and render files on a separate drive, right? If you store them on your system drive that is a major reason you are getting slow renders. Also if the drive is more than 80% full it will slow down. That said any of the new computers would blow yours out of the water in terms of speed. There are issues with the current software not being written to fully take advantage of the potential of these systems but they are way faster than what you have.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ray Stark
on Jul 29, 2010 at 9:56:52 pm

Thanks for your response.

Yes, my media & renders are on a separate, dedicated hd.

I've heard that Adobe CS products (like After Effects) can't use the full potential of these new macpros. Does that mean you have to do your graphics work on a PC to utilize this full potential?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]