wifi and ethernet to same MBP?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arun Marsh
wifi and ethernet to same MBP?
on Jul 9, 2010 at 10:17:47 am

Hi

I'll try and be as quick as possible!

I usually use my MBP with my wifi connection around the house etc - fine for general web use. but occassionally i need to upload fairly large files to YT etc and I thought I could speed this up by using an ethernet cable between my router and the MBP.

I did some speed tests after I first plugged the cable in and it did indeed improve the speeds, But then soon after the connection went really slow and my upload aborted.

I think there maybe a problem with IP as the ethernet connection has a different IP to wifi.

when I restart with the airport turned off the ethernet connection doesnt connect at and stays on amber.

So my basic question is can i switch between wired and wireless connections from the same router?

Also would be interested to know why would it work well for a minute or two and then decide to bork!?

thanks for any help.

Arun

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: wifi and ethernet to same MBP?
on Jul 10, 2010 at 2:00:06 am

"i need to upload fairly large files to YT etc and I thought I could speed this up by using an ethernet cable "

Switching from wifi to ethernet will not make bay big difference when uploading or downloading files from the web. The upload and download limits of your Internet provider a the limiting factors. Using Ethernet would make it faster to move files from one machinate to another on the same network but again the limiting factor of downloading and uploading with the web is your Internet provider.

"I did some speed tests after I first plugged the cable in and it did indeed improve the speeds, But then soon after the connection went really slow and my upload aborted"

Many Internet providers will have temporary bursts of speed followed by a slow connection.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

Arun Marsh
on Jul 12, 2010 at 3:14:06 pm

thanks

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Eric Hansen
on Jul 13, 2010 at 7:46:33 pm

you should be able to seamlessly switch between ethernet and WiFi if you Airport preferences are set correctly. the gear on the bottom left of the Airport preferences window will bring up the "service order". if you place Ethernet on top and Airport second, then your computer will use ethernet when it's connected, then Airport when the ethernet is disconnected. your router simply sees 2 different IP addresses - one for ethernet, one for airport, and your computer decides which one to use based on your preferences.

ethernet can make a difference if you're far away from your router or if you're sharing your WiFi with a lot of computers. WiFi only has so much bandwidth that can be shared. yes WiFi is many factors faster than your internet connection, but if you have too many devices, your performance will degrade. at my office, we have the preferences set in the above order and ask the employees to plug their laptops in when they can to reduce the bandwidth load on the wireless. especially when they're transferring files

e

Eric Hansen - http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

Arun Marsh
on Jul 14, 2010 at 11:24:37 am

Excellent help many thanks .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]