FORUMS: list search recent posts

New System Drive - New OS

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Babbitt
New System Drive - New OS
on Jun 8, 2010 at 5:37:28 pm

I'm installing a new system drive, and I would like to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard, and then clone everything except the OS from my old drive. Will Carbon Copy Cloner do this?

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: New System Drive - New OS
on Jun 8, 2010 at 6:38:29 pm

No carbon copy will clone everything including the OS.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Jun 8, 2010 at 6:51:14 pm

Is there an alternative?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 9, 2010 at 5:40:13 am

carbon copy: you can check/uncheck the folders you do/do not want copied.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Marc Grubb
on Jun 10, 2010 at 9:36:59 pm

This really is NOT the best way. First, what OS are you coming from? Hopefully Leopard. Second, Pro Apps won't copy over well. They should be reinstalled. Third, you are going to copy a bunch of files you don't need. INSTEAD, Install your Pro Apps and use Apple's "Migration Assistant" app. to copy users and documents.

Marc L. Grubb
Owner/Creative Technologist
fusion IT
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator
Member,  Consultants Network

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Jun 10, 2010 at 10:45:11 pm

Thank you Marc. I'd forgotten about Migration Assistant. However, I will be coming from Tiger. I'm installing Snow Leopard on a new drive, and then copying everything else over. I'll do a fresh install of the Apps. It seems to me that there was some issue with Quicktime in Snow Leopard. Is there something I need to watch out for?

Return to posts index

Marc Grubb
on Jun 11, 2010 at 2:20:27 am

Chris,
Because you are skipping past Leopard to Snow Leopard, there could be some issues if you copy your user account using the migration asst. Personally, I'd take the time to set up a user on the new system, then copy ONLY documents/mail/bookmarks.
You can try the migration asst, but you're taking a risk in this case. I always opt for STABILITY.
SNow Leopard has TWO versions of QuickTime; QuickTime X which is installed by default, and QT7, which you can ONLY install during the initial OS Install. (Look in the "customize" area) DO NOT proceed with the install without being sure you are also installing QT7. Snow Leopard also has different gamma settings.
Marc

Marc L. Grubb
fusion IT

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jun 11, 2010 at 2:33:13 am

"QT7, which you can ONLY install during the initial OS Install".

Not true it can easily be installed later by putting in the Snow Leopard install disk and choosing optional installs.

Return to posts index

Marc Grubb
on Jun 11, 2010 at 2:46:42 am

Thanks for dispelling that rumor, Zane. I haven't had a chance to purposely NOT install QT7, then try to add it later. That's how I had HOPED it would work.

Marc

Marc L. Grubb
fusion IT

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Jun 11, 2010 at 3:09:27 am

Marc,

I'm not migrating to a new system, only to a new drive on the same machine. Can I just drag my home folder over to the new drive?

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jun 11, 2010 at 3:12:33 am

I believe Marc has already explained why that's not a good idea. Why risk problems spend a little extra time and be safe.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Jun 11, 2010 at 3:22:33 am

Sorry. I guess I'm not comprehending.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jun 11, 2010 at 3:28:05 am

I quote Marc

"Because you are skipping past Leopard to Snow Leopard, there could be some issues if you copy your user account"

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Jun 11, 2010 at 6:13:05 am

OK, I guess I just proceed as though I am setting up a brand new machine. Will I get the prompts to set up a user account when I install the OS on the new drive?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]