FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keyboard Viewer OS 10.6

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Hayman
Keyboard Viewer OS 10.6
on May 29, 2010 at 3:14:58 am

I'm running into this silly problem where I can't get anything like a Key Caps sort of thing to come up on my Mac loaded with OS 10.6. I realize that I have to go into System preferences/Inputs Sources and choose this Keyboard and Character Viewer that then comes up as a menu in the top right of my screen. I got that all figured out but when I use either the Keyboard Viewer or Character Viewer they don't seem to work. The layout of the Keyboard Viewer stays the same no matter what font that I have chosen in InDesign (the program that I'm using). It seems that if I'm using a symbol font (like Webdings for example) the keyboard shown on the screen should reflect what symbols are connected to what keys. it doesn't. It shows the same set of san serif letters no matter what font is chosen in InDesign and I don't see a menu specifically for the Keyboard Viewer that will allow me to choose which font it displays. I'm assuming that it is supposed to show the font that's selected in whatever the program that's currently being used.

I tried out the Character Viewer program as well. That one seems to show not the keyboard layout but the different letters and symbols that are available from all of the fonts loaded on your machine. When I tried using that, I either got a blank box for a character that I chose or I got a character that was different than the one that I'd chosen.

What gives? What's the best way to see what all the special characters of a particular font are and to see which characters go with which keys? It shouldn't be that hard. last time I did something like this it was on a PC and I used a very simple "Key Caps" utility that worked perfectly. Why is this function so needless complicated on a Mac?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]