FORUMS: list search recent posts

logic board failure?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Milligan
logic board failure?
on May 24, 2010 at 8:14:37 pm

As a preventative maintenance measure, I used Drive Genius 3 to defrag an external drive (connected via Firewire 400). This was going to take a few hours so I let it run overnight. When I checked the next morning, the two display monitors were asleep as expected and they wouldn't wake up - all I got was the spinning beachball on black screens. The activity light on the drive I was working on was not flashing in any way which led me to believe the defrag process was complete. I let the beachball spin for half an hour and decided to do a force shut-down. After waiting for 30 seconds or so I restarted the machine (3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 8 GB RAM, OS X 10.5.8) which got "stuck" on the blue start-up screen. Another force shut-down and restart led to the same point... and that's the basic story... the machine won't get past the blue start-up screen. It does the same thing when trying to start up from either the OS install disc or the Drive Genius disc. I've disconnected all peripherals, swapped out the boot drive with the original that came with the machine (replaced over a year ago), tried starting up from a cloned drive, zapped the PRAM, started up in target mode and repaired permissions using my laptop - all results are the same. The graphics card is the one that came with the machine - Nvidea 7300GT. Could this be the culprit?... that would be good bad news, or does it sound like the logic board?... bad, bad news. Any thoughts before I contact the nearest Apple Store which is 600 miles away (by air) to arrange a repair. I bought the machine new in late 2006 so there's no warranty - and no Apple Care. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Gary

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]