FORUMS: list search recent posts

Change MAC Drive

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paolo mugnaini
Change MAC Drive
on Mar 13, 2010 at 9:06:46 pm

Hello All,

The title of the post is kind of confusing.

I have a G5 dual, I would like to know if I can move my operating system from the current drive to a different one.

Is that possible?

Thanks

Paolo

Return to posts index

David Stiles
Re: Change MAC Drive
on Mar 14, 2010 at 1:32:14 am

Are you looking to replace the internal drive with a newer, larger or faster one? If so you can use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy your current drive to your new one and then swap out your internal drive for the new one. You'll have to connect it externally somehow to do this with either a chassis or a dock. Maybe you can borrow rather than buy? Carbon Copy Cloner is free and works great for back ups too. Good luck!

Stiles

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Mar 14, 2010 at 1:49:26 am

Yes. With CCC clone your drive to another. Internal or external. Then you can boot from the clone by selecting it as the startup disk in system preferences. Or you can just swap out the old drive for the new one. Test the clone before making the swap. Not a bad idea to have a cloned copy of your system anyway. CCC will do incremental backups. a real time saver.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

paolo mugnaini
on Mar 14, 2010 at 2:17:12 am

Thanks guys!

I had a 1tb striped drive that died. Now I'm left with the 2 drives that made that 1tb. The drives are fine and since they're 500gb each i thought of putting them into my G5, since it has 2 slots.

I have placed one inside to check and the system recognizes it in disk Utility but it doesn't mount cause it will have to be formatted. So if I format it THEN i can clone the system to it, then remove the original MAC drive and put the other 500gb drive in and format it, it should work right? Worse situation I can always put the original drive back in.

Correct?

Thanks

Paolo

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Mar 14, 2010 at 4:57:10 am

Are you saying the enclosure died or the raid got corrupted? How old are these? Drives are pretty cheap.
How big is your original system drive?

You can get a brand new 1 gig drive for under $100.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/3.5-SerialATA/Hitachi_DeskStar_U...

for example.

And once you are up and running. clone it so you have a back up.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
on Mar 15, 2010 at 9:15:41 pm

Yes, you are correct.

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

paolo mugnaini
on Mar 16, 2010 at 1:19:04 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for all the help.

Here's what happened:

I have a 1 Tb G-Raid2 drive that seemingly died, it wouldn't mount, and the drives would not start spinning. So i took it to the "tech guy" at my job to see if he could have saved some data for me. I had asked him if it was possible I placed those SATA drives in my G5 and he quickly replied there was no way I could do that cause G5s only had IDEI drives.

He then told me the problem was the enclosure, that "those Graid enclosures are pretty but not too efficient and that the power unit inside had gone bust due to the internal fan not cooling enough.

He said the only way he could see if the drives were still good was to re-partition them hence erase the data on it. He asked for permission to do so and since I trusted him and the data on it wasn't anything I couldn't replace I said ok.

He then told me the drives were fine and that he could provide me with a much better enclosure for just $120ish plus the $100 labor for the 1 hour he spent on the drive.

I told him no thanks and I got my drives back with enclosure.

Once home started playing with the to see what I, as a hardware layman, could do and that's when I opened my mac to realize that it indeed has SATA drives! Which I thought but didn't argue with guy. that's when I contacted the forum for some advice (thank you very much). I then proceeded to reconnect the drives to the G-Raid enclosure and tried turning it on. They didn't come on, I then heard a beep coming from somewhere...I looked down and it seemed like it was coming from the power block with the cable feeding the drive...Could it be? I picked it up to verify and indeed the beep was coming from it!
I switched everything off and I unplugged another drive with the same power cable and BINGO! the drives started as if they were brand new!!!.

So sorry for taking your time!!

I guess I have learned a valuable lesson, and maybe someone else in the future with the same issue will read this post before dishing out $100 to a "tech" who couldn't figure this very simple issue.

thanks

Paolo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]