FORUMS: list search recent posts

memory upgrade for Mac

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kurt Wulff
memory upgrade for Mac
on Jan 12, 2010 at 4:04:33 am

I have a Mac Pro 2.66 ghz quad-core with 1 gig of ram. My question is should purchase ram in 2 gig or 4 gig increments. I read something about having 4 gigs per core. I am running Final Cut Studio and CS3. AE gets a lot of use. I do run multiple programs at times. Would 8 gig be enough or 16?

Return to posts index

Matt Geier
Re: memory upgrade for Mac
on Jan 12, 2010 at 3:21:59 pm

Hi Kurt,

I'd always follow specific requirements based on your applications.

Certainly the more memory you have, the better performance you will see in the system behavior because that's less the CPU's will be doing.

If there is a lot of memory, then your applications (like Final Cut) that do memory buffering, will run better vs not having enough memory to go around due to the lack of being able to allocate accordingly to the needs of your applications.

Do it -- get the most you can --

Return to posts index

Kurt Wulff
Re: memory upgrade for Mac
on Jan 12, 2010 at 4:16:57 pm

Thanks for responding Matt. I know AE is more memory intensive. If I can't max out my computer memory right now, should I get what I can in 4 gig sticks and continue to update as more funds become available. Or should I get 2 gig sticks if I can only afford to get 8 gigs right now. I know I need to get matching pairs. Also what about the 2 512 mb sticks that came with the machine, should I leave them in for now? Or would it be best to match all the pairs?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]