FORUMS: list search recent posts

Snow Leopard freeze

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Snow Leopard freeze
on Jan 6, 2010 at 1:41:00 am

I figured it was safe to install Snow Leopard. I formatted a new system drive, did all the software updates... and I'm experiencing occasional freezes, usually after I've left the computer alone for several hours (not sure of that though). No spinning beach ball - no mouse cursor, nothing but the screen with the programs sitting there.

I've looked in the Console, which has several interesting entries. This one is just after one "Debugger() was called!" comment:
===============
1/5/10 2:33:42 PM [0x0-0x1b01b].com.apple.FinalCutPro[386] objc[386]: Class libCompressorKit is implemented in both /Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins/Transcoder.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Transcoder and /Library/Application Support/ProApps/SharedA/Frameworks/Motion/Ozone.framework/Ozone. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
===============
Eight more similar comments follow.
This line then appears before a bunch of "Debugger() was called!" comments:
===========
1/5/10 2:33:59 PM Final Cut Pro[386] ProKit's NSWindow addition -setActiveAppearanceDuringRestore: has been deprecated and does nothing on SnowLeopard for apps linked on ProKit 5.x or later. Please remove this method call.
===========
The last action I took before the latest crash has an AJA System Test for the read-write speeds of my new CalDigit HDOne. This is followed by:
===========
1/5/10 3:46:51 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[102] (com.apple.Dock.agent[106]) Exited abnormally: Hangup
===========

I upgraded to a CalDigit HDOne at the same time that I installed a new system drive and Snow Leopard and the new FCStudio.

Thanks for any insights or advice. Absent a great insight from you folks, does Apple respond to such problems? I'd love to send my Console report to somebody who can figure out my problem by reading it (assuming, I hope incorrectly, that you can't).

I'm tempted to go back to Tiger/FCS2, but this may have nothing to do with Snow Leopard. I guess my first step should be to turn off my HDOne and see what happens.

Bob C
OSX 10.6.2
2x3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
9 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
AJA Kona LHe
CalDigit HDOne 8 TB RAID
Final Cut Studio (latest)
iWork (latest)

Return to posts index

Pasi Koivisto
Re: Snow Leopard freeze
on Jan 7, 2010 at 1:08:36 am

You mentioned you left it alone for a few hours, could this be a sleeping drive issue? Not sure how the HDOne works but if it staggers the spinup of the drives (if they even go to sleep) could take a while.

You could try to go into System-Preferences->Energy Saver and uncheck the box that says "Put drives to sleep when possible", running a Swedish system right now so I can't be 100% about the wording for that.

Otherwise, the console entries looks like warnings, nothing serious, just something for the developers to look into.

The one entry that has me thinking is
com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[102] (com.apple.Dock.agent[106]) Exited abnormally: Hangup

This could be a Dashboard widget. (The Dock process is connected to both the Dock and Dashbaord.) Try closing all your widgets and see if the problem persists.

If it does you could try to boot into safemode, (hole down the shift key while the computer boots) turns off a lot of stuff in the computer, and leave the computer on for a few hours and see if you can re-produce the problem. If you can I would suggest downloading the Mac OS X 10.6.2 combined update and then re-apply that.

If you can't it's time to look at what you have installed. Did you get the latest driver for the HDOne or did you use the one on the CD? If you took it off the CD I would suggest downloading the newest driver from the homepage. Also make sre you have the latest kona driver for your card. Make sure it's the correct driver for the card.

And if this doesn't help I would suggest a complete re-install again and see if this works better. And instead of using Software Update to upgrade the OS download the 10.6.2 combined update and apply that before you use Software Update to update the rest of the applications.

My 2 bits.

/Pasi
--
Editor, Colorist.
Mac Pro, 8x3 Ghz, 8 Gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4870, KONA 3, Sony PVM20L4, Tangent Devices Wave.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jan 7, 2010 at 1:22:34 am

Thanks Pasi. Thanks to a suggestion from David Weiss, I reset the power save settings for hard drives to Never. As you recommended, I went through and downloaded new software for the CalDigit. It seems to be behaving now -- but as a "green" I wish I could set the hard drives to spin down after an hour of non-use.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Pasi Koivisto
on Jan 7, 2010 at 5:00:41 am

For editing this is not a good idea as the edit software wants to have the drives available all the time.

An idea would be to set the computer to go to sleep after an hour? Not sure how much energy you save by spinning down the drives. I think that feature is there to save the drives but you could argue that the drives wear more from spinning up and down all the time. Something that draws a lot more power are displays. I usually set my edit computer to set the displays to sleep a half an hour after the longest show I am going to output, usually 1.5 hours. I do turn my computer off unless I need it to render over night etc.

/Pasi
--
Editor, Colorist.
Mac Pro, 8x3 Ghz, 8 Gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4870, KONA 3, Sony PVM20L4, Tangent Devices Wave.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]