FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicktime X cropping content on playback!

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremiah Belt
Quicktime X cropping content on playback!
on Dec 11, 2009 at 10:21:57 pm

I posted this in the Final Cut forum but no-one responded. I think this is not just an isolated problem and would love any thoughts or confirmation. Thanks.

I just ran into the oddest annoying thing. When playing back a Quicktime file with the latest Quicktime player in Snow Leopard...exported from Final Cut or Compressor...the player crops the video!! If you play that same video clip in Quicktime 7 it looks fine and has no crop. However the same clip rendered out of After Effects and played back in the Quicktime X player doesn't crop!??
I have tried different resolutions (SD,HD) and many formats (Uncompressed 10bit - ProRes) and the same result. This is a problem for proofing with people who have Snow Leopard they will be seeing a slightly cropped image! Is this a known issue? Am I the only one with this problem? Is their a bug in the Final Cut suite and Quicktime X player connections? I have included an image example below. You can see the difference in spacing below the line "Internet video" on each clip....Quicktime Pro 7 on the left and Quicktime X on the right, both playing the same file. Can anyone recreate this on there setup? Thanks.

My Specs:

Mac Pro 2,1 , Dual Quad 3GHz, 9GB RAM, ATI X1900, Kona 3, Final Cut Studio 3, Adobe CS3, Snow Leopard.

Return to posts index

Alex Hudd
Re: Quicktime X cropping content on playback!
on Jan 15, 2010 at 12:45:09 pm

We've had the same experience here. The cropping is happening because the image is being stretched in the horizontal axis between around 1.5% and 2.2%. This results in a loss of up to 15 pixels on each side of the image (30 pixels in total). We guess it's a bug with the display graphics on QTX that make the window borders disappear automatically when content is running.

QT is version 10.0 (obviously!) with 90.3.1 in parenthesis.

Alex Hudd
Dreambase Studios Limited

Return to posts index

Matt Holmes
on Mar 15, 2010 at 10:53:23 pm

We've noticed the same thing when viewing 5D Mark II footage in the original format and then in transcoded ProRes 422. In QT X the original looks fine, the transcode is cropped. In QT 7 and Final Cut all is well. Could it be the extension or codec being used? Distibution vs. Production codec? Compressing the ProRes clip back to Apple's H.264 presets for iPod and Apple TV, then viewed fit to screen do not crop either. Hmmm . . . I hope this is fixed.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Mayhew
on Apr 14, 2010 at 10:40:55 pm

Yep, same here. I've just finished a motion graphics piece with a small border to the video and Quicktime X is cutting it off! It really sucks to know that any clients running Snow Leopard won't see my intended video imagery. Quicktime X sucks.

Return to posts index

James Bayliss-Smith
on Oct 23, 2011 at 6:57:53 am

Hi there, I've just noticed this same thing on some FCPX training videos I downloaded from Larry Jordan. When I play the files in Quicktime or iTunes on my desktop they are slightly cropped. When I play on my iPad they are fine or using VLC on my desktop, again no problems. They are 720 h.264 files. I'm sure they were made with Compressor or FCP

Any ideas? I'm using Quicktime 10.1 and OSX 10.7.2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]