FORUMS: list search recent posts

problems installing mac osx 10.4 on Power Mac G5

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos Pino
problems installing mac osx 10.4 on Power Mac G5
on Oct 1, 2009 at 8:44:58 pm

Hi.
The following happened when I tried to reinstall Mac OSX 10.4 on a Power Mac G5. Inserted the original installation disk, opened it in the Finder and clicked on the setup application, which says that restart is needed. I click on the button, and the machine restarts, hear the presentation cue, then the Apple logo appears on the screen, and then a warning shows up in different languages: You need to restart your machine. Over the message i can see an extensive log. Ok, so i restart the machine, and the same happens over and over again when the installation disk is inside the Mac. I tried this same operation on other two machines (there are six in the place where i work) and the same happens, with three different original installation disks. What i tried then is erase the HD of one Mac in the disk utility of another Mac so i can start from zero. With this newly formated disk inside the Power Mac I insert the installaion disk and again the machine won't boot from it. So this is my first question: What do you think is happenning with this?
Later, i tried to install the OS with the HD insde and Intel MacPro. The installer won't let me install OSX in the PPC HD, and this is the explanation: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1600. PPC-based and Intel Based HD's have different partition schemes.
Second question: What do you think should happen if I format the PPC HD with the Intel partition scheme, install OSX on it, and then put it as the main HD in the G5?
I apologize if my english seems lacking.
I'll be grateful if someone can answer me.
Cheers!

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: problems installing mac osx 10.4 on Power Mac G5
on Oct 2, 2009 at 12:22:35 am

[Carlos Pino] "the same happens, with three different original installation disks"

You need to use the disks that came with the machine, as they are machine specific. Im betting you are attempting to use disks that came with a different machine.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Carlos Pino
Re: problems installing mac osx 10.4 on Power Mac G5
on Oct 2, 2009 at 3:22:05 am

Thanks for the answer. I'll try to find the right disk for the machine. There are 7 of these g5 in the place where I work. Is there a way to know what disk goes with what machine? I noticed in the disks I used had a kind of code on the surface (letters and numbers, on the left side and under "Power Mac G5 mac osx installation...") but at first sight appeared the same to me. Is this code something I can relate with information on the System profile of the G5?
Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]