FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mail on MBP with Leopard

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander Kallas
Mail on MBP with Leopard
on Sep 6, 2009 at 11:38:44 pm

Hi all,
the spinning gear wheel on the mail inbox has gone, the only indicator to new messages are numbers at the end of the download, and the selected sound.
Tried re-installing mail from the installer, no change, no s'ware updated required either. Any ideas?

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Mail on MBP with Leopard
on Sep 6, 2009 at 11:51:01 pm

[Alexander Kallas] "Tried re-installing mail from the installer"

There is no separate installer for Mail it only gets installed when you install the OS.

[Alexander Kallas] "Any ideas?"

The preference files that the app are referencing have become corrupted.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
on Sep 7, 2009 at 5:51:09 am

[Zane Barker] "There is no separate installer for Mail it only gets installed when you install the OS.
"

Well no, I have a specific installer disc for this MBP, this allows custom installs, of which Mail is one.
Deleting prefs looks like a total rebuild of mail, and I don't really want to mess up my correspondence.
Any other way to delete prefs and keep the mailbox intact?

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Sep 7, 2009 at 6:14:19 am

According to my friend who works as a Genius for Apple, Apple has never released a install disk that allows for a reinstall of just Mail.

[Alexander Kallas] "Deleting prefs looks like a total rebuild of mail"

Nope just the Account settings, signatures, filters etc. It should leave the mail boxes in place. But I would make a duplicate of the preference files just in case.

Do you have a Backup of any kind that you could pull a GOOD copy of those files from.

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
on Sep 7, 2009 at 9:48:03 am

[Zane Barker] "According to my friend who works as a Genius for Apple, Apple has never released a install disk that allows for a reinstall of just Mail.
"

The Genius is wrong, my MBP 17 " core duo 2 came with a specific installer disc which allows custom install of apps. Look at your own post
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/71/860617#reply_box
that says some installers are hardware specific.
However, this did not help.

[Zane Barker] "Nope just the Account settings, signatures, filters etc. It should leave the mail boxes in place. But I would make a duplicate of the preference files just in case.
Do you have a Backup of any kind that you could pull a GOOD copy of those files from.
"

Which files and where are they please?

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Sep 7, 2009 at 2:38:42 pm

[Alexander Kallas] "Look at your own post "

That post says absolutely NOTHING about the OS install disks letting you install just the mail app. The Disks are hardware specific but the ONLY thing that is different with the disks is the drivers and hardware support. They all still only let you install the complete OS. Disk 2 will contain things like iLife that can be installed separate but the Mail app is not part of that.

All this stuff with install disks is pointless it will not solve your problem, so lets just forget about it.

[Alexander Kallas] "Which files and where are they please? "

Well they are preference files so try looking in the preference folder for things related to mail.

Again do you have any BACKUPS that might contain good copies of these now corrupt preference files.

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
on Sep 7, 2009 at 9:09:42 pm

OK,
Dumped the Mail prefs, re-launched Mail, reset, still no spinning gear wheel, what to try now?

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Sep 8, 2009 at 1:35:34 am

Well at this point its going to take more then what can be done over a internet forum. I would recommend making an appointment at the Genius Bar at your closest Apple Store and let someone look at it in person.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]