FORUMS: list search recent posts

Swapping Snow Leopard for Leopard

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Chinn
Swapping Snow Leopard for Leopard
on Sep 5, 2009 at 2:43:24 pm

I was wondering if anyone has purchased a new Mac (specifically a Mac Pro) that had Snow Leopard OEM installed and removed it in favor of Leopard. I would think it wouldn't be a big deal, at least with the current models, but obviously Apple frowns against it.

Anyone?

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
Re: Swapping Snow Leopard for Leopard
on Sep 5, 2009 at 4:02:06 pm

You cannot install an Operating System version earlier than the one that comes with the new machine.

Return to posts index

Rob Chinn
on Sep 5, 2009 at 7:28:52 pm

What if I install the Leopard on another Mac Pro, then swap the hard drives?

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on Sep 5, 2009 at 11:55:22 pm

The OS that is installed with the new machine has many files and items specific to that model.
You could try it, but I believe you may at best get an error that the OS is not compatible with the hardware.
What's the point of doing this anyway?

Return to posts index

Rob Chinn
on Sep 6, 2009 at 1:37:21 am

The point is that I know several people that want to purchase new Macs, but have hardware and software that is not compatible with Snow Leopard (Duel Systems ExpressCard adapter for Panasonic P2 cards and some AJA equipment).

The hardware hasn't changed on the current machines from Leopard to Snow Leopard. I was just thinking that technically it should be possible to put Leopard on them, as long as you're installing at least the version of Leopard that came with that particular model when it started shipping, or newer.

I didn't want to tell somebody that it would definitely work, and then it not. Just wondering if anyone has tried it yet and what their experience was.

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
on Sep 6, 2009 at 11:28:50 pm

If the universal Leopard installer disc has an erase and install option, it should be simple.

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Sep 6, 2009 at 11:47:44 pm

[Rob Chinn] "What if I install the Leopard on another Mac Pro, then swap the hard drives?"

That would ONLY work if the other machine was the exact same model, and if it is the exact same model then why bother swapping drives just install it on the machine you want it on.

[Alexander Kallas] "If the universal Leopard installer disc has an erase and install option, it should be simple. "

Unfortunately that disk will not work. Those disks were made before your model computer came out.

The OS that is installed with the new machine has many files and items specific to that model.
You could try it, but I believe you may at best get an error that the OS is not compatible with the hardware.

And this explains whey using a disk made for another machine or a generic disk that was made before your machine wont work. That disk wont have the support for the newer hardware of your machine.

[Rob Chinn] "The hardware hasn't changed on the current machines from Leopard to Snow Leopard. I was just thinking that technically it should be possible to put Leopard on them, as long as you're installing at least the version of Leopard that came with that particular model when it started shipping"

Yes that would technically work as long as the disks came from the exact same model machine.

The bigger issue is that you don't have a legal license to put Leopard on those machines, the OS license that you have is for Snow Leopard.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
on Sep 7, 2009 at 4:53:03 am

[Zane Barker] "Unfortunately that disk will not work. Those disks were made before your model computer came out.
And this explains whey using a disk made for another machine or a generic disk that was made before your machine wont work. That disk wont have the support for the newer hardware of your machine.
"

Haven't got the discs to test this theory,
Anyone want to try?
If true it looks more and more like Microsoft's business practice.

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Andrew Golden
on Sep 8, 2009 at 7:29:54 pm

There should be NO ISSUES installing Leopard on any EXISTING mac hardware right now. Apple has not made ANY hardware releases since Snow Leopard was released so even if you purchase a new computer with Snow Leopard pre-installed, it will still run Leopard just fine since Leopard was the only OS available when the machine was introduced. Case in point, the latest Mac Pro systems require OS 10.5.6 or later since Mac OS 10.5.6 was the OS they originally shipped with. Until Apple releases new hardware, you can still install Leopard on it (just make sure you know what the minimum version of the OS you need and if you are using the restore disks that came with the system that they are for that system). For instance, if you purchased a Mac Pro right now with Snow Leopard but purchased one 3 weeks ago with Leopard, you can use the Leopard disks on that new system since they are both identical hardware. (although I don't know if that violates Apple EULA).

In the future, when Apple releases new hardware, they will require Snow Leopard since it is the current shipping OS. They should not run Leopard.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Andrew S. Golden
President
Illusion Media LLC

Return to posts index

Randy Thomson
on Sep 8, 2009 at 10:37:25 pm

The only reason we need to do this is because some of the P2 and Video cards are not caught up on drivers they have drivers for the Dual Adaptor that reads P2 cards on the older version they have already sent notification that it is not supported on Snow Leopard. We need to keep editing and maintain workflow and have to replace an older Mac with an AJA card and now we are concerned what other drivers for 3rd party isn't supported.

Return to posts index

Terry Jun
on Dec 27, 2009 at 10:52:33 pm

The LEOPARD discs that came with an older MBP may not work because of the Hardware, but if you can get a hold of a generic Leopard disc, that may work. Another possibility is to get a Leopard disc from someone who has the same model MBP as you. After you get a disc you can create 2 partitions on the drive and have both OS's running. Make the Leopard Partition smaller since you only want it to load your old drivers. I have the MBP just prior to SL, so I bought the upgrade disc, but I do have both operating systems working on my MBP. I just hold ALT/OPTION during boot up and pick which OS I want. The cool thing is that my P2 footage saved on my Leopard partition is viewable from SL. Just make sure you named the drives accordingly. ie SL HD and L HD. On the same drive I also have WindowsXP as a partition for bootcamp. SL can read NTFS so i can read my 3dsmax renders. Pretty crazy, but works. Just make sure to do this all at once since creating partitions can screw u up if you already have data. Make sure you have a big hard drive too. I have the 500GB 7200 for my MBP. I partitioned it 250 SL/ 75 L/ 75 Windows. You never get the full 500. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]