FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Monitor

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Pniewski
New Monitor
on Aug 27, 2009 at 9:10:32 pm

Hi there,

Hopefully I'm in the right place. So I've got a PowerMac G4 867Mhz, running OSX 10.4.11. An old machine, but it's been good to me.

My flat screen monitor went out on me and I replaced it. Went to Best Buy, got myself a little Dell 19-inch "widescreen" monitor. That's all you can get these days, I guess.

Well, everything's hooked up fine, colors are brilliant, but I can't undo the s t r e t c h. I've tried all the displays settings in Preferences. Clear picture, just too elongated.

I work with Final Cut Pro, this setting is "livable", but is there any way to fix it?

Thanks -

Return to posts index

Ray Chung
Re: New Monitor
on Aug 30, 2009 at 12:37:02 am

If this is the monitor you're talking about....

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9366063&st=dell+monitor&lp=2&...

...it seems to be a very strange animal indeed. Its aspect ratio is listed as 16:9 (and from the pictures, it looks to be that), but its native resolution is listed as 1440x900....which is 16:10. Meaning that if it is displaying things at 16x9, then it is squeezing the picture vertically, giving you that stretched look. This is a very odd configuration, and I can't see why they would make a model like that. If this is indeed the case, I would return the monitor and opt for the slightly more expensive Dell 19" (the silver one), which has the same 1440x900 native res, but the right kind of 16:10 screen ratio. A really odd choice for a design on that black one.

The one that's listed on the Dell site.....

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=u...

...says that it's 16:10, and on that site it looks like it in the pictures, whereas the one on the Best Buy site looks narrower top-to-bottom and says that it's 16:9. Really......strange.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]